Re: Dust 514 [ CCP ]

not for PC
Biggest. Mistake. EVER!
I thought it was a good idea to alienate their entire fanbase.

Also I honestly don't understand how people can not release a game on PC, or even worse, port it badly to PC.

You make a game on a pc for a console, which breaks on a pc. What?
'Memory and imagination are but one thing, which for diverse considerations, have diverse names'
¦- F R E D E N T H U S I A S T -¦

not for PC
Biggest. Mistake. EVER!

Also I honestly don't understand how people can not release a game on PC, or even worse, port it badly to PC.

I lol'd. So true.

"Hey boss? I can't get this to work, it keeps crashing." "Try it on the xbox in the lounge." "Oh. Ok."

It's not hard to understand. One platform is fixed, another is a morass of alternating driver versions and providers, operating systems (versions and overheads), background processes, RAM combinations, RAM speeds, bus speeds, motherboard types, firmware versions, hdd speeds and capabiities, antivirus scanners, firewall processes, graphics cards, graphics card memories, graphics cards quantities, SLI or no SLI, physics ppu or no physics ppu or gpu tasked as physics ppu - with alternating vendor support, directX or openGL versions, supported screen resolutions and refresh rates, attached peripherals, heat tolerances/cooling, available power supply loads... etc.

Which applies to both programming and the expense of QA, of course.

And on top of that the very architecture of both the 360 and PS3 are significantly different physical architectures; the 360 has (offhand) different bus setups to go through the GPU first - opposite to the PC - and the less said about the PS3, the better.

For a console the most you really have to worry about is out-of-date firmware, and you can make than mandatorily bundled on your DVD/BluRay disk.

Everyone who's anyone knows the PS3's Hardware is superior to the xbox.

For a console the most you really have to worry about is that programmers decide tehy want MOAR POWER and so they need an entirely new 500$ system that you need to buy to keep playing their game. PC games don't ahve that restriction. If the programmers want MAOR POWER, they design a game for MOAR POWER and then the end user can go buy a 200$ video card and you're done. Or you can just lower the settings and not buy anything new at all.

Let's not forget that online services for the PC are FREE.

You have to pay to play EVE. So Dust 514 isn't too different.
You can pay with enough ISK if you have it, IIRC.
'Memory and imagination are but one thing, which for diverse considerations, have diverse names'

You can pay with enough ISK if you have it, IIRC.
Yeah, possible. It's even possible to get enough ISK to pay by playing only the trial.

Everyone who's anyone knows the PS3's Hardware is superior to the xbox.

For a console the most you really have to worry about is that programmers decide tehy want MOAR POWER and so they need an entirely new 500$ system that you need to buy to keep playing their game. PC games don't ahve that restriction. If the programmers want MAOR POWER, they design a game for MOAR POWER and then the end user can go buy a 200$ video card and you're done. Or you can just lower the settings and not buy anything new at all.

The Ps3 hardware is different. Whether it is superior or not is a matter of perspective.

Show me an FPS that requires you to pay to play.

Er, every commercial one, when you buy it? Every multiplayer game running over Xbox live? Planetside?

It's becoming more common as lag becomes less of an issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwari

Although the point may still be invalid, as I don't believe anyone has it, I don't believe anyone plays it anymore, and it's s###.

Er, every commercial one, when you buy it? Every multiplayer game running over Xbox live? Planetside?

It's becoming more common as lag becomes less of an issue.
On PC, plskthx. xbox sucks horribly.

Pay to play =/= pay to buy