Piratebase, eh? Looks more like these "pirates" are wealthy mofuggas! (Sorry, been reading the threads in GenFS and my intelligence level feels like it dropped)

Arrr there be a reason for that Taristin, as ye'll be finding out ;)
Check out my music on my YouTube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/user/PRDibble/videos

I'll be doing some speed tests soon to get an idea for what should be in the different versions (no you won't have to use the high detail one if you don't want to ;) ), but I have a sneaking suspicion that in using only 1 or 2 big textures and detail boxes, it could well out-perform the HTL Hecate. :)
Twisted Infinities

sweet lord of mercy, you didn't want to skip on the polies, did you?
That's what I said... :|

Still, VA assures me it'll run OK if the textures are kept down and detail boxes are made use of... We shall see I suppose :)
TI - Coming in 2011 - Promise!
:flag9:
"Everyone has to wear clothes, and if you don't, you get arrested!" - Mr. T

lol, no - the BSG was inspiration for me to try something like this though - basically something where I could go crazy in cutscene friendly greebling, but could also reel back to more 'normal' levels for gameplay. :)

So this is more like a multipurpose model. You have the Hull/Boom objects forming the basic hull, and then the Hull_Detail/Boom_Detail as separate objects, so you can use the full 63 000 (triangulated) poly version for renders and cutscenes, (as well as in-game if someone decides they have a machine powerful enough.)
The hull+boom with no details comes to 35 000, but that's misleading as there is a lot of easy to remove detail such as indents still all over it.

I'm hoping for 3 versions eventually:
Low: roughly 5000 - 8000 polys total
Medium: around 20 000 - 30 000, and this would be the 'standard' one.
High: the full 63 000 poly version.

And as I've said, I'll be running tests ASAP to determine performance and figure out the most efficient object/texture combinations. :)
I sincerely sympathise and pity whoever has to UV map and texture that beast. =|
Uh, yeah, that'd be me as well. I'm not that cruel just yet. ;)

.....except maybe to graphics cards.....

Anyway, as for time taken: around 2 months not counting the year we had the pre-HTL model for.
Twisted Infinities

That centre section should rotate, B5 omega stylee.

I reckon I should do a Jug. Haven't ever done one. You know, something that would kick the Sathanas' fleet ass, no probs.