Flat-Earthers on ITV

These guys are just... mind boggling.. :?
And that 6% at the end of the poll. Even THAT is too high

Am I hallucinating or is this real life? Have we taken the RED or BLUE pill today? I need a lie down, again.

You know, Americans are often typecast as being dumber than the rest of the world - especially southerners - but I think Brits are the true ingrates of the world. And that's not based on just this video, but the plethora of stuff out there that Brits love (Daily Mail being the most popular paper speaks for itself..)
The Expanse. Watch it!

Re: Flat-Earthers on ITV

Perhaps, but I don't think intellectuals celebrate stupidity on either side of the pond. One thing I do know is that Brits consider 'intelligent people' to be the enemy, and it starts at school and continues into adulthood. Heck, British comedy is practically built around making fun of smart people. Do you remember that feeling of knowing the answer to a question, but not wanting to appear 'smart' ?

I normally wouldn't have made this observation without experiencing education systems outside of the UK. It seems in Korea, being smart is not Public Enemy Numero Uno. Instead it is looked up on, sometimes with envy or scorn, but rarely with ridicule.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Perhaps, but I don't think intellectuals celebrate stupidity on either side of the pond. One thing I do know is that Brits consider 'intelligent people' to be the enemy, and it starts at school and continues into adulthood. Heck, British comedy is practically built around making fun of smart people. Do you remember that feeling of knowing the answer to a question, but not wanting to appear 'smart' ?

I normally wouldn't have made this observation without experiencing education systems outside of the UK. It seems in Korea, being smart is not Public Enemy Numero Uno. Instead it is looked up on, sometimes with envy or scorn, but rarely with ridicule.
While that is true in the UK, I'm pretty sure it's also true in the USA. Hopefully that effect is going away somewhat as being a nerd has become cool. Because that was the main insult that could be hurled at people who were considered too smart. Nowadays being a nerd means a better job, more money and getting Hollywood to pander to you. As for British comedy being based around making fun of smart people, I don't know if I agree with that. If you look at how popular the panel comedy shows have become, it seems that being quick-witted is definitely considered a plus. Anyone who goes after Steven Fry for his intelligence is going to very swiftly regret it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

[Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [Mind Games]

Sure, panel shows come in all shapes and sizes. I was always a big fan of QI, yet I also enjoy 8 out of 10 cats - two very different panel shows. But I can see how things have changed - being a nerd in the 90's sucked. The early 2000's weren't much better. And yet, now that being a 'nerd' is the trend, I find myself stepping away from the masses at ever increasing pace. Something ain't right and I don't know if it's everyone else or just me. But that's really another matter.

I still think there is an underline issue to be dealt with in Britain - and it's concentrated in public schools, especially in the middle-working class areas.. My niece went through a similar experience a few years ago and it was hell for her. After changing to a religious school (I know, right.. ) things quickly improved for her and she became a top student. It's like comparing the private school kids to the public ones. It's like night and day.
The Expanse. Watch it!