Windows 10 (No votes)
Mac OS (No votes)
Linux Ubuntu (No votes)
Linux Mint
Total votes: 1 (50%)
NOT Windows! (No votes)
Total votes: 2

Out with the old, in with the new!

So I'm on my pilgrimage or whatever you wanna call it migrating from Windows N (and yes I'm calling it that cause Microsoft literally is killing every previous version of Windows) to Windows 10.

What the f*ck just happened?

So Microsoft can't update an OS on a single restart, they don't separate feature and security updates YET.. and there are still compatibility issues with running my own AV/Security suite. I didn't get this sh*t with Windows 7. I admit being stuck in an era with Windows XP, Vista, and 7 (before they botched windows update) had made me complacent but at least sh*t worked the way it should. I feel that my troubleshooting bookmarks folder is gonna get heavy fast! :shock:

Windows Update sux! After reading some nightmarish stories on how it's 'broken' things I'm not liking the idea of having to pause every X amount of days to give those updates some time to fix themselves :roll: Why does sh*t have to be so hard!

Re: Out with the old, in with the new!

I stopped using Windows after I departed from Win7. I never liked Win8, and Win10 was the final nail in the coffin. I now exclusively use Linux and have done so for a while. But, I do have both XP and Win7 in virtualboxes for a few tasks that can only be done there.

Not sure how much feedback you'll get from this poll.. ;)
The Expanse. Watch it!

For XP no as it's a hacked version and doesn't connect to the net - mainly due to ease of installation and use, though I do have an XP key somewhere. But for Win7 I'm still using the product keys that came with old computers. The issue is one of them has decided to stop working (likely due to hardware changes) and now it's telling me I'm using a pirated version of Win7, because Microsoft are dicks. Thanks for nuking my legit license key, MS.
The Expanse. Watch it!

In the same boat for both XP and Win7. Had legit copies but one wasn't activated and the OEM licenser ran out of licenses - MS couldn't or wouldn't do sh*t about that. And the other.. too late I guess.

I'm thinking of dual boot with Win10 and a Linux variant. Is dual boot any good or should I just virtualise Win10. Given that I'm fairly new to the idea of Linux I'm not sure. Does encryption even work with dual boot?

Dual boot has its own set of problems.. especially when used with Win10. Personally I would avoid it, it probably will result in headaches. My advice would be to setup a Linux VM and get the hang of it first. Mint is very easy to use and designed like a Windows environment, but there are some learning curves if you're fresh off the boat from Windows. After a while maybe switch to Linux entirely.. BUT if you want to play modern games, you might wanna stick with Windows. It depends what you need to do on your computer. Maybe watch some videos on the subject, that's how I got started.
The Expanse. Watch it!