Re: Dark Matter + Other shows

I enjoyed Farscape initially but when Scorpius came onto the scene, meh :razz: I don't think I ever finished watching the show.

..And I still can't get that music out of my head from the episode "Thank God It's Friday, Again" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs06bKBPcfk and this clip too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlrU0jh09w4 The Australian accent really carries through.

Then it got me onto this thread which made me question whether the show was an Australian production https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sh ... p?t=711011 and I was thinking maybe the show got feckled around a bit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jim_H ... 00_to_2004 cause Scorpius was appearing in too many episodes and the show felt different. Somewhat like how Straczynski's Crusade didn't end up like it should which when I think about it has a similar feel to Farscape in season 1. After all this I might have to return to finish it off :)

Recording sci-fi in the 90s was difficult too with free to air networks tossing around schedules daily. I remember Farscape being on during the day or early in the morning around 2-3am, I was going to school for f*ck sake!

You should give it another go. It's light hearted enough to stomach quite easily in the first season, and once the heavier stuff starts coming you should be settled enough into the groove to keep watching. You're missing out by not watching it. It's like ditching B5 after Season 1. You'll never know what you missed.

Farscape was not that heavily meddled with, but naturally it was a co-funded show. It was not only an Aussie production. That was not on a rumour thread, this was common knowledge when the show aired. And yeah the 90's kinda sucked when you think about how hard it was to watch sci-fi, it got the short end of the stick ALL THE TIME by TV networks.

It's only really in the last handful of years we've actually got outlets that care about sci-fi instead of shoving it around. Unfortunately there has been a drop in writing quality of late, but shows like The Expanse are making up for it I suppose.
The Expanse. Watch it!

I finished Killjoys season 5. It was an OK season but an underwhelming ending. The main villain (The Lady) played by discount Greta Thunberg was annoying, but they didn't turn her into a cartoon villain at least and actually did something with the character - actually one my favorite tropes was used in the last few episodes, so that was refreshing. A few of the scenes this season were total cringe, I just had to fast forward through them. You'll know when it happens.

Overall, I find it hard to pass up any sci-fi show - even the mediocre ones. Unfortunately mediocre sci-fi seems to be the staple diet these days, except for The Expanse IMO. Killjoys has its moments, but it has always been a bit 'Meh' and the CGI feels like it was made by a guy in a basement. Nothing wrong with basement CGI, but even Babylon 5 did a better job 20 years ago so it feels a little lazy when you see it today.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Rejoice.. :mrgreen:

The Expanse, Season 4 - December 13, 2019 *Amazon Prime
Lost in Space, Season 2 - December 24, 2019 *Netflix
Star Trek: Picard, Season 1 - January 23, 2020 *CBS All Access :razz: ^There gonna drip feed it too!

and I'm still watching Farscape :) nearly at the end of season 1. When you have 20-26 episodes per season, it absolutely kills the 6-13 episode seasons we get now.

Yeah, I do miss long seasons. I'm currently re-watching Star Trek Enterprise. Apart from that awful song, some of the supporting cast being a bit dull and a few mediocre eps, the first season is actually pretty good. It's a lot better than I remember it being.. or maybe I'm just enjoying a more relaxing sci-fi experience as opposed to the HYPER-CHARGED LENS FLARES EVERYWHERE 30 SECOND SCENES you get today..

Can't wait for The Expanse to return!
The Expanse. Watch it!

I've never understood why Enterprise got quite the amount of s### it did. Yeah, it had flaws, pretty big ones. But it also had characters I gave a damn about, memorable guest stars (anything with the Andorians in was pure gold) and actually played about with plot arcs again. It was in pretty much every way a step up from Voyager yet people seem to like that one better for some reason I totally can't understand.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

[Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [Mind Games]

I think it just came along at the wrong time, perhaps? It did have the air of VOY about it, similar musical composition and many of the stories are virtually identical to something you'd see in a VOY ep. Like SGU, it just wasn't appreciated during its time. That being said, ENT just gets better as the show goes on, whereas with VOY it's just... well it's weak sauce really - nothing offensive about it, just nothing all that impressive either. Having done all these re-watches (DS9, TNG, VOY and now working on ENT) it's a offered me a completely different perspective on these shows vs how I perceived them when I was younger.
The Expanse. Watch it!

They went back AND yet they still made things look too advanced. OK, so the ship itself on the inside looks fine... but on the outside it's just the damn Akira class in with a slightly different configuration. They got their handheld Phasers in like the first episode! And the phase cannons a few episodes later - and they look and sound almost identical to TNG era phasers, just without the charging strip. You know why? Because B&B got f#####g lazy when making ENT. Then within the first season, advanced holograms are introduced (alien tech), cloaking devices (Suliban, Romulan), the idea of photo torpedoes (while visiting a Klingon ship in the gas giant) and you know what's even more annoying? In the Romulan minefield episode, the mines are using TRI-COBALT warheads. That stuff wasn't even mentioned until Voyager.. The list goes on: Forcefields, sophisticated translating equipment, replicators, tractor beams etc.

OK, so most of this was introduced as alien tech at first (and remained so throughout) but it was just too damn early for all of that. Sooo many of the aliens use TNG-like phasers. They got f#####g lazy and didn't get creative AT ALL with the technology of the era. And let's not even get started on the temporal cold war.. really, time travel is so rarely done properly, but it was handled very poorly in ENT.

I still like ENT tho and am looking forward to resuming watching..
The Expanse. Watch it!