The random Babylon 5 vomiting thread

Apparently someone did a re-render of some original effects scene from the show. It's not a REMASTER, just a re-render using the maximum quality available. It's still the original models and assets.

Impressive stuff. Related link: http://www.b5scrolls.com

I just finished up a re-watch of Crusade, as it's been quite a few years since I last saw it. On this occasion I watched using a modified watch order from the original JMS order BUT ignoring the fact he wanted War Zone 2nd from last.. that's just nuts. To be honest I think the original TNT order wasn't that bad either. Sure, there were some discrepancies between episodes but given that this show was still finding its feet I don't think it really impacts the viewing experience that much. I did watch the original TNG run as it was on the DVD, and didn't really have an issue with it. It does end on a stronger episode, too. I also enjoyed the soundtrack a little more this time around. It gets a LOT of flak but I believe Evan Chen's style would have melded with the show better over time. I'm actually quite partial to the music from season 1 of B5, I think it adds a charm to the show that, by season 5 was largely gone. It's like comparing Star Trek TNG's season 3 scores to season 7. The latter is competently written music, but very bland at times. I think B5 also had a lot of bland scores later in its run; only mitigated by the brilliant scores written for the finale and the Centauri arc.

I just found a copy of the Crusade OST so I'm giving it a more detailed listen. Unfortunately some of the tracks from the show seem missing (in particular the 'Gideon' theme with the synth-strings)

I shall continue vomiting thoughts later.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Re: The random Babylon 5 vomiting thread

I have a mammoth task ahead of me with this re-watch, because I'm also doing a binge read of the Babylon 5 novels and trilogies. I need more hours in the day.

Watching S1 has got me thinking - B5 has a lot of rich world building, especially in the early seasons, and it makes me think that B5 is perfect for the prequel treatment that so many shows get. I realize it's unlikely to ever happen, and JMS is quite stubborn when it comes to the portrayal of his vision - But so many shows out there have their prequels, even if they don't need or deserve it. But B5 definitely has a lot of material to work with and under the helm of competent writers it could do well. The early expansion era, the Dilgar conflict.. This is why I love watching The Expanse, because you could easily imagine The Expanse taking place in the pre-expansion era of B5.

Edit: I've started watching his reaction videos, good fun. I'll put them on while doing exercise and working on side projects. :)
The Expanse. Watch it!

Dr. Jennie Song... for a second there I thought she may have been related to one of the original actors' off set. Media Therapy ~ http://b5podcast.com/ Also seemed natural on camera in that clip.

But so many shows out there have their prequels, even if they don't need or deserve it. But B5 definitely has a lot of material to work with and under the helm of competent writers it could do well. The early expansion era, the Dilgar conflict.. This is why I love watching The Expanse, because you could easily imagine The Expanse taking place in the pre-expansion era of B5.
Interesting take on Expanse there in relation to B5. Once JMS is gone who retains the rights, living relatives or studio?

The B5 podcast looks like a case of procrastination if I've ever seen one! I know that feeling all to well! But there is the original podcast series, which over 200 episodes.

I think JMS has said many times he'd rather go big or go home when it comes to B5. It wouldn't surprise me if people have approached him about doing another B5 project, but if JMS doesn't have creative control it's unlikely to ever happen. Personally I feel that JMS is not the type to 'take B5 with him to the grave' when he goes, rather he'll pass it on to someone and maybe the IP will be revisited at some point with the explicit rule that the original series as it stands cannot be remade or rebooted, instead, a different story taking place either as a prequel or sequel within the constraints of the universe and its rules.
The Expanse. Watch it!

I've completed my re-watch of the series, along with Crusade (think I'll read that Crusade BTS book again). Next up is to finish the Legion of Fire trilogy. I'll be holding onto these upscaled versions of the show, they are pretty decent and quite poorly seeded - doesn't look they'll be around much longer. I've also got the entire 'Mark Watches' collection for Babylon 5. Thanks to Kara for introducing me!
The Expanse. Watch it!

Yeah I've got a copy of the Into the Fire Alpha somewhere. I don't remember if I tried to play it or not, it will probably work through a VM. Also still got IFH which I too played once or twice. And yes, I think we've all gotten lost in Hyperspace in that game at least once.. Combat was pretty tough too. A little too much realism I guess. I'll have to play I-WAR again at some point, that game too used neutron newtonian physics.
The Expanse. Watch it!