Re: Star Trek Discovery (some spoilers)

Discovery seems to be clinging on. The latest episode was OK, the throwback to TOS was a nice touch. But the whole show just feels like a mess still - they keep throwing things at the camera hoping something will stick. The science is all over the place, the characters aren't likeable at all, the lens flares are approaching JJ Trek levels and the story is nothing to write home about. It's like the Rick and Morty of Star Trek, just without the intelligent humour. I just wish the damn show wasn't a prequel, it would be much more acceptable as a post-24th century show.

The Orville has certainly had a strong season, and the two-parter was pretty amazing. The show definitely has that TNG vibe going, and that's great. I've really missed that. Stargate was also a bit like that. But I fear they are rehashing a little too many ideas at times, almost word for word in some cases.
The Expanse. Watch it!

So season 2 has come to an end. I think this show has ripped off ideas from just about every sci-fi franchise out there by this point. The writing is fairly mediocre, the characters are not likeable, the effects are too 'Star Warsy' and the canon violations are, at this point, unforgivable. It wouldn't be so bad if this WASN'T a prequel! If they had just said, OK, this is a 25th century Starfleet.. all this tech would be fine!

To be honest I don't think I'll be returning for season 3. I can live with the violations (just about) but the show is just uninteresting and unoriginal.
The Expanse. Watch it!

WOW! That 2nd last episode of season 2 Discovery was a grind n' half :buzzsaw: - Although I did enjoy some episodes in the show I now have a growing hostility towards Paramount/CBS, JJs and the LOT. Where do I start and where do I begin and how does this show get renewed for a 3rd season :? I got a whole list of sh1t I wanna say about this but I know some of it might be offensive :-({|=

The Orville on the other hand has been great! And the fact that I need to reveal nothing about the show should say a lot. Go watch if you haven't :mrgreen:

the throwback to TOS was a nice touch.
I'm not a TOS fan simply because I never caught onto the show earlier and its out of my time. I also truly believe that people are still trying to capture what once was with TOS and that has contributed to the mistake that has got Star Trek to where it is now. Everything after Enterprise including the movies (maybe exc. the first movie by JJ but just) has got no real direction and no satisfyingly great story line with continuance. Seeing where other shows like Dark Matter, The Expanse and The Orville have gone I just don't see a spot for more Real Trek.

The ending was by far the best and unexpected - I should of seen it coming.

Good ol "deflector" :nod: carte blanche of technology

Pros
  • Protects you from micrometeorites and asteroids
  • Protects you from scary particles
  • Re-routing energy
  • Re-enforce hull integrity
  • Backup weapon
  • Backup tractor beam
  • Backup shield
  • Backup communications
  • Backup life raft
Cons