ColonyBorn, a Descent-like game for Android

Hello, I am new to the forum and have joined to share ColonyBorn with you. It is a Descent-like game I am making for Android. The controls make use of your phone's ability to sense rotation. There are strafe controls on-screen too so you have full six degrees of freedom. I plan to add VR support and multiplayer in the future. There are currently three levels. In the first level you must find and destroy a boss enemy ship. The second level has several warp tunnels that form puzzles you must navigate. The third level has large rotating rooms that you have to navigate to retrieve power cells. I am selling an early version of the game and every cent will go toward making this game awesome. I think it is fun but I am warning you it is still rough so there may be missing textures here and there and a few bugs.

You can see a video and get the latest version here: http://colonyborn.com/main/
The game is not on google play and the game is purchased with an in-app paypal system.
Update: The game is now on google play early access https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ColonyBorn

I am not a robot!! Ask me anything and say hi!

Here is what beta testers said when asked what they like about the game:

Blast some aliens!
-Chad
Last edited by protonjump on Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: ColonyBorn, a Descent-like game for Android

I enjoy playing games and wanted to create one myself. My studies are in engineering so I had not created a game before but have programming knowledge from it. I first decided that I wanted to make a game for the mobile platform. I wanted to create for the mobile platform because it is new and I felt that it would be more accessible to a developer working on his own. I started to think about what the mobile platform offered that was unique and wanted to incorporate those things into the game. I was reading about innovative mobile games and saw augmented reality games as really amazing. They utilize the camera and phone orientation sensors to bring the game into the real world. So ColonyBorn started out as an augmented reality game. Here is a video of how it looked:

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/WindingEnragedCanary

I showed this video online and did some beta testing but did not get a strong response. I myself did not have too much fun playing the game I created so I felt it was time to change things up. In the augmented reality game, the player stayed in one spot while the enemies fly around. I wanted the player to be able to move in the game too. However in augmented reality there is no way to tell that the player is moving. The player could maybe move in the real world but phones are not yet able to track lateral movement very well in the real world. So I decided I needed to give up on using the camera and make an environment for the player to move in. It still kept the augmented reality controls though. So when you point the phone north in the real world you are now pointing to the north side of the level. After creating the first level I was having a lot of fun! I would stand up and be moving around and pointing in all directions to direct and fly the ship and it was great!! Playing the game in a swivel office chair was also fun too. And some beta testers really liked this too so I knew I was on the right track.

The last major change that I made, that makes it into the game that it is now, was adding controls where one does not need to move around. As I was developing and testing the game I needed controls that I could use to test the game without having to spin around so I could develop and test more easily. I also thought these new controls will be better for more serious and competitive play. So now the player has the option to play both types of controls. And so that is the story of how I was inspired, made the game for mobile, and how it turned into something like Descent.