Re: Elite Dangerous

Cone on now Jake.. it isn't that hard :P

After 10 years of EVE and all it's sand box shenanigans it's hard to find a decent rival. Elite to me feels like the flight simulator of space. It's a niche market, you either like it or you don't. But Elite might be worth getting into at a later date... Depending on the direction the devs go.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Elite Dangerous seems to lack good team play functions? It's one of the things holding us (retired eve playerers) back.
I <I>think</i> so; I've only given a cursory glimpse to the 'add friend' type functionality, as I've mostly been pootling along as a low-budget explorer lately (although lately I'm a bounty hunter in and around Ross 718, despite having only a couple of crappy gimballed cannons that, if you don't move for a while and stay <i>really close</i>, could at best give you a nasty sunburn), but the consensus seems to be that some of that stuff is lacking.

I think they're implementing wing grouping functions in the next update - although the more crucial issue with social play is the utterly vast distances involved.

I have to say I'm still enjoying it, though. The basic mechanics themselves remain pretty strong.

The social aspect of EVE was really the only thing that kept me playing. I don't want to be a loner in space AS WELL as real life :D
I think that'll come in time with E:D, but.. yeah, it's not there. At times it's still more of an engine than a game, really, and arguably they could have kept it in beta another 6 months. Not that I'm unhappy with buying it - but I can see how it's really easy to get bored with it, because the progression is somewhat barebones.

(I was happy way way back playing Privateer just doing trading runs to buy better guns and never tackling the story, so there's a nostalgic bit of me that doesn't mind the E:D grind though. But no doubt - it is a grind at the moment)

I hear ELITE got an update, anything good? I'm still waiting to find a game here :nod:
I'd wait until the next update, which should introduce some more combat options. The last one was, um, some improvements to the route-finding range and addition of some community goals that didn't particularly blow me away.

And, I ended up buying it. A friend of mine and I wanted another game to play other than Battlefield, and what wasn't WoW.

I rather like it. It reminds me of what Freelancer should have been. Currently, My ship is in Cubeo, the capital of Asling's territory.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
-Steven Wright