Re: Boo!

The usual trick is to leave poisoned meat in public parks, which gets eaten by the dog, but apparently there's a thing now where they spray poison onto the grass that the dogs inhale whilst sniffing around as they do.

The fact that the park also has a football pitch and an infant playground doesn't seem to figure into their reasoning.
Check out my music on my YouTube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/user/PRDibble/videos

Just to let you know in advance, it doesn't seem I'm going to be around much after all. I'll try to stay in contact, but it seems I've lost most of my interest in getting involved in Internet Forums. There are reasons, but it's nothing to do with Sectorgame, so there's no point bringing them up here.

Sorry all.

No worries!
Heck, my ship sometimes shakes like a Hawaiian dashboard dancer in an old bug on gravel at 100mph...
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
-Steven Wright

For me:

When I started posting here, I had no social life, and I was in high school. Now, I have a semi-social life, and two jobs!

I think kara presents a good point: The games that we rallied around are dead. We need some sort of commonality, else we've become a social hall.
Heck, my ship sometimes shakes like a Hawaiian dashboard dancer in an old bug on gravel at 100mph...
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
-Steven Wright

I think it's one of those weird situations where the site needs a new focus, but doesn't need to change its approach.

As far as posting things on HLP are concerned, I wouldn't do that any more. It's got to the point where even the creator of Descent has to post a caveat apologizing in case he broke any 'protocol' simply by posting information on a new game. That's not an environment I'd want to have a discussion in, it's grown far too confrontational and accusatory for my tastes, some people might enjoy that kind of debate, and that's fine, but it's not for me. It kind of reminds me of that Rooster Teeth introduction to 'the incredible edible Internet'. It's not a 'bad' place as such, but since I hit my 40's, it comes across as a strange place for someone of my age to be. In truth, it's similar to a lot of other Forums, which is why I find myself going off of them in general. Basically, I wish them good luck, but it's really not for me any more.

I like Sectorgame because the people on it tend to be measured and intelligent people who can debate without accusation or defamation, but then, I suppose if the user-base DID grow, that would change anyway, so it's a Catch-22 situation.

it's grown far too confrontational and accusatory for my tastes, some people might enjoy that kind of debate
That's not just HLP, that's the Internet as a whole in the 21st century. Everyone is frothing at the mouth just waiting for the next topic to fight about. Having a simple discussion these days is like walking on tiptoes through a minefield. It's even worse on platforms such as Twitter. Nothing sums it up like: "It were great when I were a lad" :)
I think the reason is that there's not really anything to talk about. Generally I tend to post anything I am interested in discussing on HLP.
That's true, but usually when you're just getting started with a new forum there is only one person responsibile for injecting life into the place - You (the creator). Granted, SG is not a new forum anymore but the same rule still applies after all these years. I have to admit that, I've really neglected Sectorgame. Aside from the odd update here and there, it's been a ghost town for 2-3 years now. I've been thinking about launching a homepage, but never got to around to it.
Hunter

Founder - Sectorgame.com

In fairness, when I was young, I signed on to Bulletin Boards etc using a modem that involved balancing one of those old handsets on an A/D converter. Those on the 'Internet', such as it was at the time, were a select few, so there was always a kind of solidarity among us, we were the 'cutting edge', rather than the majority, that bought about a sense of community that is now, I think, vanishing with familiarity with the technology.

I agree that this is a general thing, as you say, a few minutes on YouTube or Twitter shows exactly how bad the situation has got, a community consists of the people within it, and when people who like to hurl abuse and attack others join, it's like dropping dye into water, it spreads and colours the whole thing eventually.

Indeed. And what was once considered 'geeky, nerdy' or 'loner stuff' is now the norm. Scary stuff.
I was there during the birth of social networking (back in the late 90's) and nowdays you won't catch me near Facebook :)
Hunter

Founder - Sectorgame.com

While that might be true of the early internet, I think by the time HLP started it was already no longer the case any more. To be honest I think HLP is a calmer place now than it was in the olden days when I joined. You couldn't have someone like Kazan running around calling everyone a christofacist these days, for instance. :D Similarly I don't think YouTube was ever a bastion of good comments.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

[Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [Mind Games]