Re: Need something to replace EVE

Hehe.

I've got several games that would be improved by being multi-player, Empyrion, Rising World, Space Engineers, Planet Explorers etc, but it's always hard to find a server that contains the kind of people I'd want to play alongside.

Space Engineers in particular is an incredibly boring game in Single-Player :(
Check out my music on my YouTube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/user/PRDibble/videos

Single player is OK for a relaxing hour or two - But it gets old fast. And I guess, because we're getting old and have played so many games over the years. It's one of the reasons why I stopped playing Fallout/Elder Scrolls games after about 50 hours :P It's because you've seen it all before. Great games indeed and well worth the price tag, but I long for something that has the freedom and complexity that EVE offers, without being TOO boring *cough* Sorry Elite *cough*. There is something about the EVE sandbox that is very hard to replace - It's both genius and evil at the same time. After ten years of playing the game, I've never seen anything else come close thus far. I just hope Star Citizen turns out to be a worthy MMO.

In the meantime, I'll be getting my hands on Fallout 4 ... And I can't wait to descend into Descent Underground :)
The Expanse. Watch it!

/me uses Phoenix Down
*Thread is resurrected

I'll put in another vote for Elite:Dangerous. I played Freelancer back in the day, though I never touched EVE. It feels like what Freelancer should have been, if it had the resources. They're going to be adding in landing on planets in the next expansion.

The visuals are awesome, and I like the realism (so to speak) For example: You have your normal engines, and thrusters, you have your Supercruise to get to move within start systems, and Frame Shift Drive to hop between systems. Without the supercruise, it'll take you weeks to cross a system. You're also affected by the gravity well of stars, planets, etc.

A friend and I are building up our ships, though he has far more time into it than I. It'll scratch the itch of grinding for money for better parts, as well as space combat.

Which of you folk are playing it?
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
-Steven Wright

Star Citizen and Elite were in the same vein, what was more interesting about the former?

What rumors have you heard about Star Citizen's train-wreck-ness?
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
-Steven Wright

Just read Derek Smart's blog for the full series of accusations and supposed leaks. I don't know how much truth there is to it.

Star Citizen and Elite might both have similar flight mechanics but they are definitely not in the same vein. That's like comparing EVE online with Homeworld.
The Expanse. Watch it!