Yeah, the duplicate textures are because each kind of turret brings its own copy of the texture. It's kinda retarded that PCS2 doesn't filter them out, since it uses only the first instance anyway.
What really?
I know I've never had that as 3dsmax combines textures with the same name automatically...
Believes in 3DPD. Loli is not a crime. A cat is fine too.
War of the Squids | Not Tom Clancy's | Ice Cream | Bosch Beer

Until the Akrotiri, the biggest polycount I had seen was Esarai's Horizon Battleship. And I know what that was like because I helped him fix up some of its POF data some time ago. I never thought I'd see a ship with a big polycount than one of his.

Droid's got a point with the tilemaped thing. While you want to remove some detail to bring that polycount down, you don't want to rip off too much. Otherwise, it might get a bit messy when it comes to fixing it all up.
Last edited by Starwolf1991 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darn, if only we could get FSO to have multi-core and GPU support, then we probably wouldn't have to worry about the poly-count so much. But I read that it isn't that easy to give FSO that support.

Until the Akrotiri, the biggest polycount I had seen was Esarai's Horizon Battleship. And I know what that was like because I helped him fix up some of its POF data some time ago. I never thought I'd see a ship with a big polycount than one of his.

Droid's got a point with the tilemaped thing. While you want to remove some detail to bring that polycount down, you don't want to rip off too. Otherwise, it might get a bit messy when it comes to fixing it all up.
The polycount as it is doesn't seem to really be to as huge a problem as you are making it. the new HTL Hades that will go into the MVPs will have 80k polygons, the Cylon basestar in Diaspora has over 100k iirc, and Esarai was making a version of the Horizon with over 250k polygons iirc.
----Goober5000---- Fanclub member.

Indeed, it's not polycount that is the big performance drain. Textures are the thing that currently slows down FSO most, followed by collision detection (IIRC). So an efficiently textured 100k poly ship will be handled way faster than an inefficiently textured 20k one.

Anyway, it's down to 50k now. I'm leaving on holiday in half a week, I'll start mapping it after I get back. So expect more updates in the second half of July.
Ancient-Shivan War | Hard-Light forums | FreeSpaceMods.net

Darn, if only we could get FSO to have multi-core and GPU support, then we probably wouldn't have to worry about the poly-count so much. But I read that it isn't that easy to give FSO that support.
FSO has both, actually. The real problem is that the collision code desperately needs upgrading.

Unfortunately, no matter how often we repeat that, coders always want to work on upgrading some other part of the engine instead. :(
Fortunes of War
Deus Ex Machina

VWBB Survivor: 12/01-7/04, 130 posts