My disk drive has died again.

Can I have some help please? Who knows anything important about fixing disk drives?

I ask you this because a while back I attempted to instal Command And Conquer 3 on my computer. Not a very smart move, but hey-ho. Anyway, it crashed in installation. While I managed to uninstall what was on the drive, the drive persists that 15 Gigabytes of command and conquer are on there, but I don't care about that. The problem is the fact that it screwed my disk drive, disallowing me from using disks as it refused to read them. After several attemps to fix it, I simply gave up and played games for which I did not need disks for months on end.

One day however, I subconciously attempted to play a disc game, not remembering that my drive was broken. I put the disk in and, wow! it worked! I was quite happy and began playing many games with my shiny disks, having fun and going through nostalgia street playing decades-old classics...

But then I left a music disk in there for a while and did not use the disc drive again for quite a long period of time, playing some games directly from the hard drive, forgetting that the disk was there. I opened the disk drive months later to try a different game- Oh noes! My disk drive has killed itself again!'

So I spent the day doing actual work on my PC, as I couldn't play Freespace 2 SCP because my PC was too crap to handle the missions I had made. So I downloaded the Discovery 4.84 mod for Freelancer and began playing that (as the disk was no longer needed to play it). I was having fun, and spent the ensuing months playing my new multiplayer space sim, when POP! The computer won't allow me to access the server. I wail in sadness for a few days, then a few more, when POP! The server is showing again! I look on their tech support forums, and it seems others are having the same experience, but oh well. I start playing it again, having much fun.

When one day, just over a week later, POP! My crap, brick-like PC won't allow me to connect to the server again. 'Screw this' I thought, as I posted on the forums myself. Nobody has got back to me yet and I'm getting annoyed, but most of what you read had nothing to do with my needs, really, so you just wasted about... 3 minutes? Of your life. Hahaha. Anyway, getting very annoyed I booted up a disk to relieve my gaming urges, only to remember that it will not work, so this hunk of scrap computer is a useless as the brick it is made from.

Anyway, yes, my disk drive is broken, so please can someone tell me how to or help me in other ways to fix it? The symptoms include putting a game in, only to have the little light on it flash for 25 seconds, then hear a loud whirring noise that rises and falls quickly, as it spins it, then a loud buzz that lasts for about a second. If I look in My Computer it tells me that the drive is empty.

All replies are much appreciated.
'Memory and imagination are but one thing, which for diverse considerations, have diverse names'
¦- F R E D E N T H U S I A S T -¦

While not what you're looking for, you could always use cracked .exe files. 8)
"Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny, and old wounds open all too easily."

While not what you're looking for, you could always use cracked .exe files. 8)
Indeed I could, but *Obi Wan voice* These aren't the answers your looking for. Move along.
'Memory and imagination are but one thing, which for diverse considerations, have diverse names'

Uh any luck with this? This section is mainly used for site related technical issues, which is why it's overlooked by everyone except me and the pheasants.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Uh any luck with this? This section is mainly used for site related technical issues, which is why it's overlooked by everyone except me and the pheasants.
No, no luck whatsoever. Help me.

Where should the post go then? I don't want the memoirs of my computer woes to go to waste.

'E's passed on! This drive is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of firmware, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the case 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is random read processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-DRIVE!!