It's not disallowed to resurrect old posts here. At least, not by a few months. I have the final say on it - don't mind what others say.
Thx.

@Psampik

Pherhaps we look what Freespace 2 say's about Vasudan escape pods:
The GVEP Ra escape pod has been the standard emergency vehicle on Vasudan capital ships since the Terran-Vasudan War. In keeping with Vasudan philosophies, the Ra is almost never used to evacuate personnel, but instead is employed to preserve records and other data that could be of use to the allies. Thus Ra-class craft have minimal life support systems and a small fusion engine. The energy supplied by the escape pod's powerplant goes almost entirely to powering the pod's homing beacon.
It is never used to evacuate a starship. I don't thing too, that Admiral Kaffree survived the destruction of his Ship.
Only seconds after the arrival of the Sathanas 2 the Psampik was destroeyd. I think thats not enogh time to run from the bridge to an escape pod in the hangar.

@Shivans

I personally think, the Shivan Technology was during the destrucktion of the Ancients at their highest point, and it is during the Capella incident and the Great War too. But GTVA has no idea what the Shivan Empire can do. Pherhaps the SPD Vinaashak (the spiderlike thing from inferno-mod) is still waiting in Shivan Space for the next War(s). But remember the SPD Vinaashak and the SSJ Gigas is Fan-Art and not canon. Anything like these ships i'll be surely realistc. (The Names should be more these from terrestrial Demons like all Shivan Warships ingame^^)
My english isnt the best. I know. Dont be angry plz. I do my best. :)

Yes, but... never used to evacuate... because of the Vasudan philosophies...

Because this (and FS1) I beleave the Vasudans deals in absolutes, like Victory or Death. The Commander (and Crew) goes in honor down with the Ship...

FS1 tells us, that many Terran Warships where destoyed in the Terran-Vasudan-War by Sucide-Pilots. Fanatism or a normal Part of a komplex Society? Reading the Info about the EP RA lets me beleave the last.

The ability to carry minimal live, could be an update for Terran Visitors on a GTE-Ship. Or it could be made only for Member of the royal Famaly.
My english isnt the best. I know. Dont be angry plz. I do my best. :)

I may be just a noob, but, errr.... anyone remember the back of the fs2 package?

"The Shivans are back... and they're wondering what happened to their scouting party..."

food for thought! :P

......and is it just me, or does hippo seem to have a lot of periods........?
but that little animation is sweet! 8)
28 years old, and seeing this :smash: just makes me giggle like a schoolgirl!

I may be just a noob, but, errr.... anyone remember the back of the fs2 package?

"The Shivans are back... and they're wondering what happened to their scouting party..."

food for thought! :P

......and is it just me, or does hippo seem to have a lot of periods........?
but that little animation is sweet! 8)
Nope, never bought it. I got the CDs copied from a freind who got the CDs copied from a freind. I think :?
'Memory and imagination are but one thing, which for diverse considerations, have diverse names'
¦- F R E D E N T H U S I A S T -¦

DO NOT TRUST THE BOX... :/

It's wrong. Completely wrong. It isn't done by the [V] team either, AFAIK. It even has a Lucifer on it, there are too many inconsistencies on that thing or it to be trusted. >(

Right here, my boy! Lower left back of box (still got it) Left to right: V O L I T I O N logo, Interplay logo, pxo logo, environmental audio logo, etc. it's done by volition. theres no lucifer. just some of the new ships. he11, just saw on front of box lower left V logo.

And for a touch more, here we go...

"The year is 2367, thirty two years after the Great War. Or at least what YOU thought was the Great War. The seemingly endless line of Shivan capital ships, bombers and fighters with super advanced technology was nearly overwhelming.

As the Terran and Vasudan races finish rebuilding their nearly decimated societies, a disturbance lurks in the not so far reaches of the Gamma Draconis system.

Your nemesis has arrived...and they are wondering what happened to their scouting party."
Last edited by deus69xxx on Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tell ya what though, that gave me chills the first time i read it. I was all OMG!!!! Lucifer? Immune? SCOUTING PARTY LEADER???? What could possibly be next?
:badgrin: The destruction of the Capella Star...... andme :(

Ugh, the Box synopsis was not done by Volition.
Shivan propoganda I says.
'Memory and imagination are but one thing, which for diverse considerations, have diverse names'

possibly! but i lean heavily toward any theorios involving, genocide to any non shivans who access subspace, the single minded destruction of every star system (HIGHLY unlikely, but possible) or the desperation ploy of destroying the capella star to cover a strategic retreat (More likely, and the one i tend to believe most)

on that note, see, the campaign of fs2 with the shivans was confined to a (relatively) small portion of space. if you had a tremendous force at your disposal, and this antlike race was taking everything you got and still going, it stands to reason that there must be far more ants in aaaallllll these other systems. and if they lose fewer ships than we do, we need to think more. Hey subordinates, lets blow up that star and retreat for now. that'll keep them away!

So, i'll go wit the box. scouting party never returned from their scouting/softening up mission. lets go check up on them.

eh? c'mon, it's reasonable and leaves plenty open for designers to go most any direction, as long as the shivans are still known as "the Destroyers". :P

Ugh come ON! I can't believe someone would actually say that.

*takes deep breath*

The Shivans had 80 juggernauts, but they did not move on like the Lucifer fleet, they stayed in Capella, around the star, and did not continue. The Sathanes did not try to enter Vega or Epsilon Pegasi, and only their cruisers and corvettes attempted to move on to Epsilon Pegasi. If the juggernaut fleet decided to move on, they would have squashed the GTVA easily. As it was, the GTVA sent most of their fleet to Capella, and they lost anyway with just the normal Shivan fleet attacking. If the Sathanes got involved, they would have SQUASHED the GTVA.

The difference between the Lucifer fleet and the Sathanas Fleet was the Lucifer just pressed on, attacking, attacking and attacking. The Sathanes held Capella. They did not try to move.

My personal theory is that the Capella star nuking was done to open a supernode to another jump node star system (possibly to retreat...) and join with another Shivan fleet. It said in the Petrarch Endgame movie that the Shivans could be nomads. I personally think that they would have been splintered, and attempted to join back up.

Just a post, and nothing personal... I'm just projecting my views here. :)

OK, well, this is my view. Probably wrong but hey- ho.

I asssume that Capella was destroyed for no real reason, except for the fact that [V] wanted it to be. It is possible that [V] found out that there would be no FS3 while close to the completion of FS2, or they had a development cycle that was running out of time really quickly and they thought 'Hey, lets have a massive and unexpected event happen to keep the fans thinking until FS3 (assuming that they didn't know it wouldn't be done)'

The 'No FS3 was known' Theory explains why the juggernaught fleet moved into subspace after destroying Capella, to inspire thoughts that this was the last sighting of the Shivans.

But the 'Short development cycle' theory explains how such a random event happend but was ocmpletely unexplained, as if it was hurriedly finished.

Of course it could be any combination of these. I have no grudge against Volition with these theories and want no offence to be taken, i simply found the end of FS2 unsatisfactory.

You, sir, have given me the happiest run in a long time! and if you will, Read on!
-------------------------------

Oh, no offense taken or intended! This is just a favorite topic of mine!. I never get to discuss theories with anyone else, which is why I'm happy I found you folks!
:badgrin:
Now to expand: My theory is that the GTVA won the battles (for the most part) pretty decisively. With "our" help obviously, with a decided improvement on losses from the first game. Now! Any commander worth his salt not knowing the desperation level of the enemy or his numbers will use one of two options to minimize loss. A bluff, or a strategic retreat to a more secure location. Th shivans can not understand us or read such an alien lifeform. Just like we are in the dark about them for the most part. (we captured some, so obviosly we have SOME data).

Supposition: Shivan leaders are verry good, within certain guidelines, such as the hive mind ancestry theory (probably), and the lives in subspace theory (Doubt it, why would they ever have cargo depots in normal space where we can steal shielding technology, etc...). Their "scouts" are gone. No recon data means no intelligence. not stupidity, but if the mother of all f**kups is assumption, the father would be ignorance.

So: The battles lost against the not necessarily known numbers of GTVA battlecraft, plus the FACT that their scouting party is toast, all within the given timeframe of those "few" battles holding tha area near Gamma Draconis would probably give any great commander who is not panicking or is desperate (32 years have passed, they have some spare time), would not like to bluff, so the "strategic retreat". Add to that, say,...wait.
if they nuked the star for a super node, why use the Knossosses (wow, esses!) in the nebula if they would have a super node?) ...the destruction of a significant system held by the enemy. Hence 80 juggs that did not wipe out the GTVA, but merely set us back to try again with current intelligence.

I just think it possible that we "Scared" them into running... for now!

Please don't hate me, as i said, i just like to theorize with others! :)

You, sir, have given me the happiest run in a long time! and if you will, Read on!
-------------------------------

Oh, no offense taken or intended! This is just a favorite topic of mine!. I never get to discuss theories with anyone else, which is why I'm happy I found you folks!
:badgrin:
Now to expand: My theory is that the GTVA won the battles (for the most part) pretty decisively. With "our" help obviously, with a decided improvement on losses from the first game. Now! Any commander worth his salt not knowing the desperation level of the enemy or his numbers will use one of two options to minimize loss. A bluff, or a strategic retreat to a more secure location. Th shivans can not understand us or read such an alien lifeform. Just like we are in the dark about them for the most part. (we captured some, so obviosly we have SOME data).

Supposition: Shivan leaders are verry good, within certain guidelines, such as the hive mind ancestry theory (probably), and the lives in subspace theory (Doubt it, why would they ever have cargo depots in normal space where we can steal shielding technology, etc...). Their "scouts" are gone. No recon data means no intelligence. not stupidity, but if the mother of all f**kups is assumption, the father would be ignorance.

So: The battles lost against the not necessarily known numbers of GTVA battlecraft, plus the FACT that their scouting party is toast, all within the given timeframe of those "few" battles holding tha area near Gamma Draconis would probably give any great commander who is not panicking or is desperate (32 years have passed, they have some spare time), would not like to bluff, so the "strategic retreat". Add to that, say,...wait.
if they nuked the star for a super node, why use the Knossosses (wow, esses!) in the nebula if they would have a super node?) ...the destruction of a significant system held by the enemy. Hence 80 juggs that did not wipe out the GTVA, but merely set us back to try again with current intelligence.

I just think it possible that we "Scared" them into running... for now!

Please don't hate me, as i said, i just like to theorize with others! :)
I'm not starting a flame here, but why would they organise a tactical retreat of 80 Juggernaughts when it took such force and sacrifice to destroy one or two? I stand by my theory.