SUCCESS!!!

I've discovered the problem, and it tracks back to multi-dock. The new multi-dock control window in the ships editor in FRED 11/01 is FANTASTIC, however, some of the mission parsing was in a partially-implimented state for FRED 10/31. That made it incompatible with all previous and forthcoming builds. I had edited and saved the mission under 10/31, which made it unrecognizeable by any other build. I deleted the data that was added by the 10/31 build and reopenned it in 11/01, and the missing ships reappeared. I then resaved under 11/01.

Another weird thing, this mission had several smaller craft... fighters basically, docked to the larger ships. Now, the arrival cues for the ships that have the fighters docked TO them, should be set to either an expression solution, or to "true", and those of the fightes docked to it should be set to "false". However, the 10/31 insisted on setting the arrival cues for the motherships to "false". I would change them to "true" and resave, but they always came back as "false". I even looked into the mission text file, and it was set to "true". It seems that 10/31 would insist on displaying "false", but still save it as "true". Weird, eh? FRED 11/01 sets it to "true" where necessary.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Bug closed then

On a side note, this might have been my fault as to why this cropped up in the first place. My local copy of ship.cpp was tagged 10-31-05 6:00, which meant ship.cpp wouldn't update at all. One a side note. I will be updating all of the FRED2 builds in a couple of days.

Trivial, could you post those other issues with the objectives windows and other docking crazyness?

Well, the problem is that sometimes, I don't always know what I am doing. I am basically a novice. Thankfully WMC has given me some help sorting out some of those errors expaining what is going on.

Goober, I'd like a little clarafication on something with the current state of Multi-dock. In the standard 2-ship docking (since Retail, even FS1) when 2 ships are docked together, one MUST have an arrival cue of "false", and the other either "true" or some expression that could be true. FRED automatically sets one of those 2 to "false" once you select one ship as being docked, and click OK. It comes up with the message of "setting arrival cue to False for initial docking purposes" or something like that. The ship that doesn't have "false", dictates when the joined pair arrive, if they aren't there to begin with. Now, under the new system, I can dock several small (individual) fighters to a carrier ship, and it will auto-set the arrival cues on the fighters to "false", BUT if I try to dock a wing of fighters to a carrier, it will work, but it doesn't appear to set any arrival cues to "false". Obviously it can't set them on the fighters, since wing-ed fighters don't have individual arrival cues, but should it be setting the wing arrival cue to "false" instead? Should I change it manually to "false"? Is multi-docked wings still not supported by FRED/FSO?

Well, if fighters are in a wing, they won't have individual arrival/departure cues right? In that logic, how could it set the arrival cues to false on the individual fighters in a wing, if they have none?

BTW, I already posted a bug report in Mantis (bug-530), about Multi-dock and wings, but you closed it down, on the grounds that it was a duplicate of bug-424. Bug 424 was more geared to simply getting multi-docking functional. My bug had to do with some errors coming up when I tried to multi-dock wings to a carrier ship. Would you prefer I create a new bug report, or have you reopen bug-530?

Updated
CVS as of 11/01/2005
Some Important Comments
  • All Builds use code base from 11/01
    I hope this makes up for the goof up previously
    Optimized Build Updated
    Inferno Build Updated
    Optimized FRED2 Updated
    Inferno FRED2 Updated

Well, if fighters are in a wing, they won't have individual arrival/departure cues right? In that logic, how could it set the arrival cues to false on the individual fighters in a wing, if they have none?
They still have individual arrival cues. Look in the mission file. But putting ships in a wing also sets the cues to false, which is why there was no "setting to false" dialog - they had been set to false already.
BTW, I already posted a bug report in Mantis (bug-530), about Multi-dock and wings, but you closed it down, on the grounds that it was a duplicate of bug-424.
That was because FRED wasn't set up for initial ship docking at all, so it was pointless to report a bug for a feature that didn't exist yet.

In summary, all these problems you're reporting are symptoms of the fact that initial docking is not set up to handle wings. It wasn't in retail FS2 (if you had a wing with just one ship - try it) and it's not in SCP. That's an entirely separate issue from muliple ship docking. Initial docking and wings both have their own separate way of creating ships.

Just don't dock wings of ships to a carrier and you should be fine. Alternatively, create a single Mantis report titled "Initial ship docking does not work for wings" and it'll be taken care of. I don't know how long it will take, though, because as I said it's an entirely separate issue.
Fortunes of War
Deus Ex Machina

VWBB Survivor: 12/01-7/04, 130 posts

I`m using the Babylon project TC with the inferno builds...

I`m getting an error at the loading screen, saying it can`t load model <none> (the dummy missile).

I copied the EAmissile.pof to the root directory and still get the same error, which I find odd.

It works on previous inf builds, but i`m stumped as to why it fails to load in the latest build..

So any suggestions, and or a solution, awaiting comments, and thanks in advance.

(edit) Um. forgot to give system specs.
P4 2.8 GHz
512mb ddr sdram
Geforce fx 5500 256mb ddr

fsopen build, 20051101-inferno
Who am I? Take 3 guesses, and the first 2 don`t count.

Me too, though when I saw it the game was trying to load the shockwave POF. If you're getting a "can't load model" error with no filename, it's often really hard to tell exactly what the game is trying to load.

No, I only saw it in one build and Taylor got it fixed straight away, though I'll admit I haven't tried a CVS build in the last week or so. The only reason I mentioned it is that there can be a number of possible places that a blank model file could be loaded, so it's best to keep an open mind when hunting down the source of an error.