Not an RTS, but a special type of Freespace mission. Imagine this.

After years of service to ther GTVA, a total of 25 000 enemy kills, at least seven copies of each and every medal, the octupal ace Admiral Alpha one has been assigned to the post of Battlefleet commander. From his specially designed Pharos Nav Buoy, Alpha one watches the action as his fleet, (controllled entirely in his famously consise numerical language - eg c - 1 - 3 - 1) engages an enemy fleet of similar size but different compposition. For example, Admiral Alpha one may be given a Hecate, three Fenris class cruisers, four wings of interceptors and two heavy bomber wings. His assignment could be to take on a Shivan fleet, consisting of a Pair of Moloch corvettes, two lilliths, Two Rakshasa, four heavy bomber wings and a wing of heavy assault fighters.

Effectively, it would be Freespace chess - you would have to decide which ships protected which, attacked which, disarmed or disabled which. You could also have some control over weapon loadouits (of the earlier fighter wings - Beta, Gamma, delta, and whatever else will fit on those loadout screens). The enemy of course would have to have a predetermined sequence - the Lilliths might charge the Hecate while the Molochs provide long range cover. The fighters could be aiming to protect the bombers whhile they split up to attack the cruisers, etc. etc.

Events could be interspersed by the mission designer to give it a more realistic feel - one of your cruisers could lose its main beam cannon due to overheating, or a fanatical civillian group might arrive to tackl;e the shivans (out of your control, but still a potential advantage which a good player could learn to exploit.) With the use of variables and random number genedrations, there could even be an element of variety to the same mission - sometimes a comet might come hurtling through the battle and c rash into whatever is in its path, sometimes it might not, etc. etc. etc.

So what do you all think? would this be fun/possible?
TI - Coming in 2011 - Promise!
:flag9:
"Everyone has to wear clothes, and if you don't, you get arrested!" - Mr. T

Some kind of strategy game, but with what engine and how ??

Sounds nice, but nothing I haven't seen previously ;)

Edited By Hunter on Mar. 27 2003 at 17:25
The Expanse. Watch it!

Would it be possible to do this as a one-on-one team vs team multiplayer, with no mods? Just set the player start as having 0 engines. Could be very interesting.
Do you realize that there is nothing standing between the United States and world domination?!

Master of the Freespace Port to Freespace 2.

The Star Wars mod is now at HLP! Check it out!

then the creative A1 finds a way to ram an orion to death ??? how about s "special" nav bouy (or other ship) that has a turning speed, but no acceleration in any directions?
even with my limited skills, that would be easy... AS for capship orders, just make a key sequence, either shrough SCP or fred, so that like if i press, Shift-1 GTD Somethingorother responds to orders with #1-4, so 1 could be attack current target, 2:cover current target, 3:launch fighters 4: selfdestruct/kamakazie

Just my 2 cents...

--Hippo

Sounds nice!

Here is my idea: What's abaout converting the whole ships to Star Trek: Armada 2. Like a Total Conversion.... it would be very hard but a lot of fun controlling a fleet of Hecates.

cya
ge
Well....lets say some things here:

Yeah I am a german and I am against the war!!

You cannot kill,
what doesn't die!
-Anthrax

Hmmm or Starfleet Command III, both engines are good, but Armada ofcourse is more ships.. ;)

Still I think it would take a lot of work and I dont expect anyone will ever find time for it.. same with Freespace FPS
The Expanse. Watch it!

then the creative A1 finds a way to ram an orion to death ??? how about s "special" nav bouy (or other ship) that has a turning speed, but no acceleration in any directions?
even with my limited skills, that would be easy... AS for capship orders, just make a key sequence, either shrough SCP or fred, so that like if i press, Shift-1 GTD Somethingorother responds to orders with #1-4, so 1 could be attack current target, 2:cover current target, 3:launch fighters 4: selfdestruct/kamakazie

Just my 2 cents...

--Hippo
You just protect and beam-protect alpha one. If he keeps ramming something he will blow up.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

[Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [Mind Games]