I agree with both of you. When it comes to Freelancer, it bears the most simiarlities to the Rheinland Valkyrie and the Liberty Defender. Two very nice designs.

Until I can think of a darn name, it shall be called "Prototype A-1". Meanwhile, meet "Prototype B-1" and "C-1":
These are meant to be Pirate fighters which bear traits from the military. To realistically capture what I wanted, I took inspiration from Supreme Commander 2 for this one. If you have played it, you will notice that B-1, which is the first, is inspired after the Cybran Nation's "Renegade" Gunship. The other, C-1, is inspired after the United Earth Front's "Wasp" Fighter. B-1 could be a superiority fighter, while C-1 could be an interceptor. I'm already trying to work on a D-1, which is a bomber for the GTVA.

Does anyone think these could be potential FS models? Or not really? I know I'd like to see at least A-1 modelled.
Last edited by Starwolf1991 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Another design is here, "Prototype D-1", which unfortunately had to be switched to Pirate design due to difficulties with the GTVA design:
I often thought the case of why not just upgrade a previous design for a different role? In this case, D-1 is an upgrade of B-1 and fills in the bomber role. Heavier armor plating, an extra two gunbanks and two missile capacity banks should allow it to do its job effectively. To support the increase in size and weight, two extra thrusters had to be mounted. And for whatever reason, there are two tails. Without this feature, it would be hard to distinquish fighter from bomber.

On that and a nagging feeling, I decided to do a take 2 on Prototype C-1. After a good haul of work, here is the next step up. "Prototype C-2":
Before I started, I did some proper examination and concluded it could hardly be acceptable a pirate design. It is truely a military concept. Also, during the process of the sketching, I decide to revisit the Wasp from Supreme Commander 2 as part of considering what could be removed, improved or added.

In the end, I ended up doing three things. The first thing was creating a more 3d shape for certain sections such as the fins on the front. The next one was removing parts from the C-1 design that weren't exactly great, such as the tail fins. Finally, I had to add parts to replace the outtakes and improve other sections. Examples are new tail fins and two extra primary banks.

In a nutshell, it is is a lightweight and swift interceptor/reconnasince fighter with firepower equivalent to the Capella-era GTF Perseus. On the plus side, firepower and maneuverability is not comprised nor sacrificed. On the downside, Prototype C-2 is more expensive to manufacture and maintain. Also, for inexperienced pilots or Perseus veterans who have difficulty adjusting, it could be a deathtrap. Despite the costs and difficulty presented to pilots, it should be a welcome asset to military organizations such as the GTVA.

Instead of A-1, I'd rather now see C-2 modelled in all honesty. Also, I think I will name this one, unless someone wants to have a go.

Another take 2, this time for Prototype B-1. Now it is "Prototype B-2":
There are a few things that are meant to be different, but I don't feel like changing them now. At most, the tail spike should be slightly thinner, and the end slightly smaller. Other than that, I believe it is a great step up from the original design.

Like the B-1, it is intended to be a pirate design, geared towards either superiority or interception. It is more lightweight and agile than the average fighter for both roles, and has a highly efficent engine system. However, it suffers from thin hull plating and low secondary capacities. Being easy to mass produce and looking a little intimidating makes it a major concern for organizations like the GTVA. I guess in ways it it like the GTF Kulas.

And now for names. For C-2, I thought of these two:
-Vindicator
-Guardian

As for B-2, I thought of these three:
-Manta
-Dragonfly
-Renegade

After many attempts, this is the GTVA Bomber I have long been meaning to create. This is "Prototype E-1":
There was a minor glitch with the sketching. You'll notice that both sides of the mid-section look they like bend downward. I only just noticed it. But that shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Prototype E-1 is meant to be the successor to the Artemis family line and the Zues Bomber. For those who have a good look at it, it could be seen as a comprimise between a light bomber and a medium bomber. Lessons learned from the Shivans in Capella, E-1 is built for high speed and manuveurability. Advances in hull design allow for greater secondary capacity, and light but sturdy armor plating allows for a fair level of resistance to weapons fire.

I'd love to see wings of these in battle.

C-2 looks really badass, B-2 looks alright, but E-1 just looks way too long and fragile to be a bomber. If you take off the really long pilot-on-a-stick dealy, and put the cockpit immediately in front of the wings, I think it would look a lot better. A bomber, at least in my opinion, should look very thick. Substantial, if you will.

I agree there. Removal of the mid-section and having the cockpit up closer would improve things. I think I stuffed up the cockpit tiling and the gunbanks as well. I can always do an E-2 to fix those problems.

Seems like C-2 is the highlight of the thread. Awesomeness :razz:

Ok, I have two new babies for the thread. One is "Prototype E-2", a redux of E-1. Thank you Matthew for suggesting the modification for the mid-section:
I think I might name it the Firehawk or Odin. Anybody disagree?

The other newcomer is "Prototype F-1", a heavy bomber this time. Don't let looks decieve you, it is a bomber for sure this time:
Another product of lessons learned from Capella and technological advancements. It is sluggish, but not too sluggish. It is capable of getting in and out of a fight. It has very heavy armor plating, huge secondary capacities and plenty of primary firepower. It also has two laser turrets, one on the top and one on the bottom. This is a first for bomber design since the creation of the Ursa, which it is intended to succeed and greatly surpass.

Either Warhawk or Kryptor comes to mind when trying to name this thing. Once again, if someone has a better suggestion, speak up.

Reminds me of the liberator light fighter in freelancer.
I see where you are coming from.

Pretty promising basis there, nice concepts.

I just hope none of you cut any ears off over these.
'Memory and imagination are but one thing, which for diverse considerations, have diverse names'
¦- F R E D E N T H U S I A S T -¦

After a couple of failed experimental concepts, I thought I'd ask you sectorgamers where I should look for new sources of inspiration. I'm keen on getting more concepts posted here, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

After a couple of failed experimental concepts, I thought I'd ask you sectorgamers where I should look for new sources of inspiration. I'm keen on getting more concepts posted here, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Try nature or architecture. Abstract influences, shall we say.