Red Faction II - Longplay

This is a blind longplay of Red Faction II using the PC version of the game on Linux Wine. The game seems to run pretty well on Wine and is even optimized for 1080p widescreen, which I was surprised at considering it's from 2001-2002. Although my knowledge about the development of this game is quite limited, I believe it was started by Outrage Games and finished by Volition. Okay, so overall I would say this game is pretty mediocre throughout. It's not exactly terrible, but it's definitely not as good as the first game. Half of the time I didn't know what the frak I was supposed to be doing or even shooting at. The story is boring and uninteresting, it feels completely disconnected from the first title and the only real similarities are some of the weapons and names of things. The combat in this game is also boring, which is surprising considering the combat in the first game was actually one its best parts. I don't know exactly what it is, but I think it's something to do with the way things sound and feel. The first game had great sound effects and combat was pretty fluid. It feels awfully sluggish in this one and the sound effects are on par with bargain basement arcade noises. I wasn't invested in the story at all and nothing really reached out to me. I've forgotten most of what happened already. The voice acting was also pretty bad. Somehow they even managed to make destruction less interesting. The only redeeming part of this game is the length, it's pretty short. I don't think I could've stomached much more.

Oh, I hate the blatant use of infinitely spawning enemies or many numerous enemies spawning continously to 'pad' out the game. Don't do that. There were some fun parts I suppose. The fight on the bridge was different, with trains coming from each direction. Some of the vehicle combat was filled with gratuitous explosions which helped to avoid the boredom from regular combat. And blowing everything up with the mech was a nice way to vent too.

The Expanse. Watch it!