'ave been playing Reach for the past few days and meh it's ok I guess. SOmehow Elites just seem unconvincing and the combat just kinda boring...

It's Halo, they have no incentive to make a good game. If the game is anything but mediocre people will buy it because "It's halo!!!!!!!!111"
Bungie has always been quite driven. I wasn't a huge fan of Reach, mostly for storytelling reasons, but they're a quality studio driven far more by their own internal standards than any amount of profit.

'ave been playing Reach for the past few days and meh it's ok I guess. SOmehow Elites just seem unconvincing and the combat just kinda boring...
The elites are the only convincing enemies in the game, something's wrong with you. :P
A plasma grenade bullseye and a rocket before they die ? WTF, why does Bungie have to dick about with the weapon balancing in every sequel ? YOU GOT IT RIGHT FIRST TIME! STOP CHANGING STUFF JUST FOR THE SAKE OF IT!!! and so on...

The elites are the only convincing enemies in the game, something's wrong with you. :P
A plasma grenade bullseye and a rocket before they die ? WTF, why does Bungie have to dick about with the weapon balancing in every sequel ? YOU GOT IT RIGHT FIRST TIME! STOP CHANGING STUFF JUST FOR THE SAKE OF IT!!! and so on...
The weapon damage didn't change, the higher ranking Elites are just really tough.

Well I just finished Reach and stand by my original impressions.

I really hope that's the last Halo as I think I've has as much as I can take lol.

Fighting Elites seemed fairly hit 'n' miss. Lower rank dudes were fun but high rank peeps, with absurdly tough shields, just felt like a chore. Brutes didn't really bother me either way.
All the usual alienchatter had been replaced with random alien babblings which I felt was a step backward, added on at the last moment.
I also noticed some odd AI glitches. Friendly troops getting stuck, driving off cliffs etc and a couple of periods where Marines and Brutes didn't appear aware of each other. I had one brute chasing me round a pillar and the marines didn't even seem to know he was there, even standing within 2 ft right next to each other, and vice versa. Very strange, especially for Bungie.

Shame we didn't see how MasterChief ended-up in stasis on the Pillar of Autumn, or even a quick scene showing Reach glassed. I thought Noble-Six was going to be the MC, especialy with all that talk of Cortana selecting him. Maybe MC was No2 on her list or something....

The revamped Pillar of Autumn looked pretty sweet. The defence of the lab doors was a pretty decent battle too, although totally contrived.
Space combat wasn't quite the train wreck I was expecting. Didn't really add anything, and I wouldn't have missed it, but it wasn't so bad.
Also finally! the oomans had some decent close air support - that's bugged me fron day one and the flyie-thingies in Halo3 were ugly.

Anyway I'm off to play Combat Evolved. Haven't played it in ages!