Every time you buy a new game, those who dislike pay-for-play, I want a little mocking voice to tell you "that would have paided for three months of EVE".
Oh goody, three months of hauling rocks. :P

Seriously, I'd probably be all over EvE if it was something twitch-based (and if I had an income), because those screens are gorgeous, but...yeah.
A.K.A. Mongoose, for you HLP denizens

Every time you buy a new game, those who dislike pay-for-play, I want a little mocking voice to tell you "that would have paided for three months of EVE".
You can't always get what you want.

Generally, I should add, after a few months I like to play something different. Subscription-based gaming sounds too much like work for me.

Twitch-based + MMO = lolwut? Epic fail.

Twitchbased + Space + MMO = Double fail.
Um...no? Jumpgate: Evolution is going for precisely the latter, though it admittedly seems more than a bit like vaporware at this point. My greatest strength as a gamer is in hand-eye-coordination-based tasks, and if someone out there created a massively-multiplayer sort of game that catered to said strengths, as opposed to mind-numbing grinding, I'd be all over it.
A.K.A. Mongoose, for you HLP denizens

and if someone out there created a massively-multiplayer sort of game that catered to said strengths, as opposed to mind-numbing grinding, I'd be all over it.
Navyfield's manual gunnery might appeal to you, though then again, maybe not. Manual becomes necessary for cruisers, but for DDs (most, some DD-X/all Tsukithingie/some Z99 excepted) auto is more reasonable, as it allows you to better coordinate gun and torpedo fire.

It's also free. There are buyable items/crew upgrades but as a practical matter I'm not convinced they make a difference unless you're willing to drop about a hundred bucks on veterans, which most players aren't, and they do Christmas/Halloween/other holiday events which give out buyable stuff for free.
IAR
A Numbered Existence
In The Service
Monsters
SAMAS

I agree that twitch based combat in EVE would've been nice, but with the way combat is in EVE I think people would die of heart attacks.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Oh god not NAVYFIELD. Do yourself a favor, STAY AWAY! It's the most teeth-grindingly irritating game I have ever played, yet I can't stop playing it.

Also, manual on EVERYTHING exactly certain FFs... Or die of a firey death.

Bullshit. I've run all my destroyers since NF beta with auto. It's the only way to drive a DD with torps or a Kuma/Kita, because it's the only way to launch torpedos accurately, and you actually manuver quite a bit if you have half a brain so it's simpler, and your gun range isn't long enough for it to matter anyways.

You could probably get away with it on an Atlanta too, as HA fire seems to be a dead art on the NF servers today. Or a Brook, or even a Sirius, since all those ships are basically designed to charge up and bury you under an avalanche of shells.
IAR
A Numbered Existence
In The Service
Monsters
SAMAS

I wouldn't say FSO doesnt measure up to that. It's pretty impressive though, and I really am considering getting into EVE with a few other friends,

Dust 514 looks great too. Erm, I assume everyone knows about Dust 514 considering how I havent seen it mentioned here...
'Memory and imagination are but one thing, which for diverse considerations, have diverse names'
¦- F R E D E N T H U S I A S T -¦

Yeah we try to avoid that subject. :P
Really? Not too happy with that subject?
'Memory and imagination are but one thing, which for diverse considerations, have diverse names'
¦- F R E D E N T H U S I A S T -¦