Actually the mechanics were quite clearly revealed at the convention - I have no problem with DUST, because it doesn't affect my daily life in EVE at all.
The Expanse. Watch it!

It's a console FPS. It's going to impact our ability to hold space in a PC-only game that is inhabited by people who enjoy and in most cases stay for the non-twitch combat.
a) What has the 'console' part of FPS got to do with anything?
b) Fair point, but AFAIK the exact mechanics of how the two games interact is yet to be revealed.... are we not perhaps talking here about replacing an abstract numbers game with something a little more concrete, anyways?
a) Because EVE is a PC game and releasing DUST for Console when the followers are PC is fail.
b) Eve is abstract numbers and FPSes are concrete? LOL!!
a) So it's basically narcisstic elitism about the platform of choice? Which was exactly my sad expectation, actually, as it's pure unbridled arrogance.

b) Well - and forgive me not having played the game here - what exactly is the mechanism EVE uses for capturing / determining ownership of planets? Insofar as I'm aware, there is no visible interactive aspect of ground warfare for this - and that's what I mean by abstract numbers.

b) Fair point, but AFAIK the exact mechanics of how the two games interact is yet to be revealed.... are we not perhaps talking here about replacing an abstract numbers game with something a little more concrete, anyways?
a) Because EVE is a PC game and releasing DUST for Console when the followers are PC is fail.
b) Eve is abstract numbers and FPSes are concrete? LOL!!
a) So it's basically narcisstic elitism about the platform of choice? Which was exactly my sad expectation, actually, as it's pure unbridled arrogance.

b) Well - and forgive me not having played the game here - what exactly is the mechanism EVE uses for capturing / determining ownership of planets? Insofar as I'm aware, there is no visible interactive aspect of ground warfare for this - and that's what I mean by abstract numbers.
a) No no no... Why make a CONSOLE game for PC GAME? Your fans (and thus the people who KNOW about the game) are PC players. So why make it for console?
b) Um... Ships blowing the s### out of each other?

wow, matthew is even more annoying out of game then in i see

aldo planets arent really held per se, corps/alliances/what have you, put up stations around moons and that's what determines sovereignity of the systems in the non-npc parts of space
:smash:
:flag45:

a) No no no... Why make a CONSOLE game for PC GAME? Your fans (and thus the people who KNOW about the game) are PC players. So why make it for console?
b) Um... Ships blowing the s### out of each other?
a) why not? Was there some sort of law passed I missed?
b) Which is all on the level 'above' planets

a) I don't see the logic behind it. Why, if all your fans are on PC, why not make it for PC as well?
b) You said abstract numbers. I said not abstract numbers.

Hammer: You never even see me in game. Since when is having a debate annoying?

EVE is PC only and proudly so. Your playerbase is full of console-haters. What do you think is the problem here?

Not really. There was nothing abstract about POS warfare. 40 dreadnaughts pounding away for an hour is never abstract. Deathly boring, perhaps, but they have something besides Dust in line to clean that up, that will supposedly base system ownership mechanics on either the FW setup (kinda abstract itself, so we're going from a concrete to an abstract system not the other way around) or system control i.e. sustaining a combat fleet in the system (good and solid and meaningful). Dust itself would be extremely abstracted from EVE, because they are on totally different platforms, so the average EVE pilot may not even have a way to participate in things occuring in Dust, much less influence them.

Given the multinational nature of EVE, where we have two major alliances based out of Russia, one from France, several smaller Hungarian and Romanian, an ANZAC group, and soforth, coordinating any kind of Dust thing is going to be impossible because of peak times not matching thus either allowing massive defaults or no battles, and possibly a lack of console players in the Motherland or wherever. EVE has natural defenses against this sort of thing built in via its relatively slow pace of system conquest (seldom less than a day, if one is thorough) and your enemies can force you to fight with clever timing of their towers or the like.
IAR
A Numbered Existence
In The Service
Monsters
SAMAS

Admittedly I am mixed about DUST. I can say I'm looking forward to it if it turns out to be as naively imagined by CCP, and that I am irritated by the fact it won't be on PC, initially at least. I can only hope it goes as intended, and some day CCP thinks "Wait, why are we ignoring our main market?" And if it turns out well, releases it for PC.

Also I showed a friend the Dominion trailer and downloaded the demo with him.

He really enjoys it, is hooked, and may be leaving World of Warcraft (woops with joy).
'Memory and imagination are but one thing, which for diverse considerations, have diverse names'
¦- F R E D E N T H U S I A S T -¦

a) I don't see the logic behind it. Why, if all your fans are on PC, why not make it for PC as well?
b) You said abstract numbers. I said not abstract numbers.

a) Probably because there's not as much financial benefit in it, I'd garner. which is, IMO, a perfectly legit reason. I think if people are console-haters... well, I don't think their immaturity should play into the decisions made by what is after all a business (and, besides which, surely the success of Dust would only bolster CCPs ability to support and expand Eve?)

b) I think people are missing the definition of abstract I use. To clarify; an abstract number (or in this case, an abstract process - I guess the term I should have used) is one which provides an abstraction from a certain level of simulation... such as the abstraction made when allowing ownership of an ostensibly terran location to be dictated by actions made in space.

Obviously, abstractions are necessary - you can't simulate everything in perfect granularity. But I don't think this is the case of an unecessary refinement myself.

Then again, I'm an outsider - maybe the concept will indeed bbreak the game due to the miasma of factors I've not directly experienced. But as an outsider, the concept and rationale looks pretty strong to me.

lol How quickly you forget. I booted you from the sgam channel for acting like a 12 year old, you quickly posted here because you couldn't figure out how to get back in and said we'd banned you.

Im the guy you used to cry at because my alliance(PL) took your space or something, me and hippo always made fun of you being a 'pvp commander.' Still not ringing bells, Hammertime24 > me

debates arent annoying, you are annoying. With your capital LOLs and your extra exclamations, nevermind the fact that you quoted yourself in your sig.
:smash:
:flag45:

LOL is an abbreviation and thus should be in caps. I never found out who booted but thanks for telling. I'd never been booted so I didn't know the mechanics. I never "cried" about PL, if you think that's crying you're clearly just looking for something to say. You've not seen crying yet. I seem to recall you and hippo teasing in good humor, apparently I was wrong. My sig... Yeah, I never actually said that. It's simply how I do things.

Anythnig else to complain about, please feel free to make a thread, I'd hate to ruin hunter's thread because of one guy with a sore behind.

LOL is an abbreviation and thus should be in caps. I never found out who booted but thanks for telling. I'd never been booted so I didn't know the mechanics. I never "cried" about PL, if you think that's crying you're clearly just looking for something to say. You've not seen crying yet. I seem to recall you and hippo teasing in good humor, apparently I was wrong. My sig... Yeah, I never actually said that. It's simply how I do things.

Anythnig else to complain about, please feel free to make a thread, I'd hate to ruin hunter's thread because of one guy with a sore behind.
FYI;
lol (or LOL, or L.O.L.) is an anacronym, not an abbreviation. There's no requirement for anacronyms to be capitalized either, AFAIK the general rule is to be consistant and stick to the original capitalisation.