PUBLIC BETA: Ancient-Shivan War, Act 2

As we're short on testers, we've decided to release the ASW2 beta to you guys for testing! Play it through, see if you can find any bugs, and let us know!

Installation:
- Unzip the ASW2 folder into your main FSO directory.

ASW2 depends on:
- ASW1_3612, the latest release of act 1, download here -- rename the mod folder to ASW1_3612 or alter the ASW2 mod.ini to match
- mediavps_3612, the regular 3.6.12 MVPs. You should be able to play with RgaNoris' new Sath, other addons have not really been tested.

[DOWNLOAD] (85.2MB), enjoy, and let us know if you find anything odd!
Ancient-Shivan War | Hard-Light forums | FreeSpaceMods.net

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Ancient-Shivan War, Act 2

Played, finished, enjoyed. The only thing I don't like is power of shockwaves from shivan bombs. Their shockwaves are too strong, and can easily destroy our unshielded fighter [Kato for example] in one single moment.
I'm guessing it was very short if you already finished it. It took a while to make, so it should be longer. Is it long enough for me to enjoy? Last I asked, I was told around 10 missions. So I'm lead to believe that the assets is what made it take a long time to make, not fredding.

Thanks! We're glad you're liking it so far :)
Their shockwaves are too strong, and can easily destroy our unshielded fighter [Kato for example] in one single moment.
Yeah, we're aware of that - it makes flying intercept a whole new ballgame, huh? We might decrease them more with ASW 3.6.14, it gets annoying indeed.
so how is this a beta?
Heh, well, it hasn't been tested as much as we'd wanted it to, the team's shrunk quite a bit compared to when we released ASW1.
10 missions. So I'm lead to believe that the assets is what made it take a long time to make, not fredding.
Still is. 10 missions, 3 cutscenes. RL is why it took so long, not really assets or FREDding.

I don't know if spoiler tags work, but read below if you don't mind spoilers:

I played it but I see a flaw with the fact that the Shivans blew up Sopul (the nebula) because Knosses 2 existed in the nebula in FS2. In other words, the nebula came before the creation of the Knossos and was likely a supernova occuring long before the Ancients. Another indication is that the nodes were unstable so the Ancients built a knossos to the nebula and leaving the nebula to the binary system, and the star going supernova would destablize the nodes. So the Shivans must have blow it up long before.

One other flaw is the Shivans not having any beams, even on the Sathanas. The FS2 Bosch monologue (pondering whether there were countless races stretching back into infinity that were wiped out by the Shivans) as well as the interview with the lead writer of Volition indicates that the Shivans have been at it for millions of years. Surely they would have beams 8000 years ago too. It would have been nice to see the reaction of the Ancients when seeing beam weaponry on so many Shivan warships. If you can build many sathani that can blow up stars, you surely the are capable of beam weaponry. Especially considering that the inferior species that the Ancients wiped out in ch1 had beams and the Lucficer has them too.

SPOILERS FOLLOW

I played it but I see a flaw with the fact that the Shivans blew up Sopul (the nebula) because Knosses 2 existed in the nebula in FS2. In other words, the nebula came before the creation of the Knossos and was likely a supernova occuring long before the Ancients. Another indication is that the nodes were unstable so the Ancients built a knossos to the nebula and leaving the nebula to the binary system, and the star going supernova would destablize the nodes. So the Shivans must have blow it up long before.
We have an explanation for that :P It's in the Knossos tech description.
One other flaw is the Shivans not having any beams, even on the Sathanas. The FS2 Bosch monologue (pondering whether there were countless races stretching back into infinity that were wiped out by the Shivans) as well as the interview with the lead writer of Volition indicates that the Shivans have been at it for millions of years. Surely they would have beams 8000 years ago too. It would have been nice to see the reaction of the Ancients when seeing beam weaponry on so many Shivan warships. If you can build many sathani that can blow up stars, you surely the are capable of beam weaponry. Especially considering that the inferior species that the Ancients wiped out in ch1 had beams and the Lucficer has them too.
That choice was made at the very beginning of ASW, and while - in hindsight - it might not have been the greatest idea, rebalancing everything would have taken a lot of work. So we just went with it.

I just read the description. However, it makes more sense that the portal was built after the nebula already existed. I feel that to be canon since it is the most likely. Does the ASW team not feel this to be the way it is? Also the nebula nodes becoming unstable because the supernova destroyed the nodes. Do you feel this makes more sense?

Very nice Campaign! I like the missions, the atmosphere and story. Very well done. The new Corvettes are beautiful!

What i experienced is that the Kratos and Nova guns drain too much power, maybe these need balancing.
One small thing, i would prefer the old Backround in Verbek. The View on the Galaxy was much more impressing!