How about a giant sniper rifle thing like the Halo Beam Rifle? Could use SEXPs to change the FOV (for a zoomed-in effect) and a .tga file with Subtitle SEXPs [yes, they do show images as well as text] to cover up the blurred edges (a picture with a transparent bit in the middle and stuff on the edges is what I'm getting at). Buttons 1, 2, 3 and 4 can control the zoom magnification.

Of course, it'd all have to be scripted, but I'm sure this can be done.

I see no use for a snipre rifle actually... And if you like these ideas, why don't you make them and use them in ED or some other mod that you're in.
TBH I don't think they'd fit with anything, just throwing ideas around.

I dont see why the ancients cant have the full set of weapons "afterall they did have the technology to build the knossos" what is important is that the ancients couldnt damage the lucifer (so even if they have beam cannons, they wont be able to pierce the lucifers shields) when they do find out how to do it - it is too late, the shivan invasion is far too extensive for the ancients to possibly win.
There is no knowledge that is not power

Ive used to often wonder what the ancients would be like. I brought freespace 2 a month or two after it's release date, when i got my first pc. I had no idea what i was buying at the time i just liked the box artwork!. I now have a freespace folder nearly 5gb in size and still play this game (must be about nine years now) I'm liking what ur doing here, the artwork on the ancients ships look first class, certainly fitting to the freespace franchise. Interested in knowing how the story is gonna go - I always believed that the ancients were a sentient like race - who tried to find a peaceful cohabitation with the worlds they colonised, thus unprepared for the military wrath of the shivans, whom seem to be focused on destroying everything in their path. Maybe this mod can shed some light on why the shivans are this way inclined - Could be that the shivans were once peaceful themselves, but after coming back from near extinction (at the hands of a different race) they are now on a revenge mission with the rest of the universe! - Anyway thanks for welcoming me - i look forward to inputting some food for thought, at least! :-)
There is no knowledge that is not power

Hello, Flaminjapalenowotsitspelledliek, and welcome to Sector Game.

I would like to disagree straight away with several things in your second post.
Interested in knowing how the story is gonna go - I always believed that the ancients were a sentient like race - who tried to find a peaceful cohabitation with the worlds they colonised, thus unprepared for the military wrath of the shivans, whom seem to be focused on destroying everything in their path.
The Ancients were sentient, yes, they did have a fair load of technology, in that sense, but I don't think they were sentient to a point of being on a higher level of universal understanding to us Terrans and them Vasudans. I believe that the Ancients were just like tyrants wanting to expand their empire beyond known borders, much like how most of the European states suddenly found themselves with a whole world to conquer during the 1600s.

The most profound evidence of the Ancient's expansionism is clearly outlined in the very first Ancient monologue:
And we discovered subspace. It gave us our galaxy and it gave us the universe. And we saw other advanced life. And we subdued it or we crushed it. In months the extermination of billions of years of evolution on a similar but slower path. With subspace our empire would surely know no boundaries.
That basically shows, without a doubt, that the Ancients were no peaceful entrepreneurs. They were ruthless, die-hard conquerors who saw it fit to annihilate any life that opposed them, or enslave it if they thought it useful. This is much like the 17th century expansionist governments of Europe and Britain, who fought and killed needlessly to expand their borders through force. For this the Ancients would need quite an established military force, and hence, were not as unprepared for the Shivans as you might think.
When the destroyers came for us we attacked. Never had we been defeated. They like the others. Strange, hideous, resisting, fighting. Only these were not like the others. They did not die.
Here, we can see that the Ancients made the first move against the Shivans (or at least, retaliated with some meaningful force). They attacked, quite clearly, with an intent to annihilate the Shivans as they had done to all the other races they had previously encountered.

As for the Shivan's motives -
I know why the Ancient ones were destroyed and I know what they knew. I know that if not for the Shivans they would have perished long before. Without the Shivans someone would have discovered the Ancients in their infancy, and eliminated them, just surely as they eliminated countless billions of others.

I believe it is only the destroyers who are killed. The Shivans are the great destroyers but they are also the great preservers.
Here we can see what I call the "FreeSpace 1 Shivan Mythos" - The theme that the Shivans destroyed all life that was too powerful with the intent of preserving the balance. If not for the Shivans, the galaxy would probably be ruled by some evil, tyrannical empire much like the one the Ancients established. That basically rounds up all the mysteries of FreeSpace: The Great War.

However, in FreeSpace 2 a whole load of new mysteries are added - Capella, Bosch, etc.

You really should pick up the FreeSpace Port if you haven't already and experience FS1 for yourself.

(I am so bored)