I have to disagree... D3 can never feel compeltely like D2.
If you were able to completely replace all of the content in D3 with D2 content, it would be indistinguishable except for the bobbing speed of the ship, which was just freaking annoying in D2.

The engine. Doesn't. Matter.

There have been countless arguments about this for every single game you can think of, from Descent, to freelancer, to oblivion, to Age of Empires. Every single time its eventually been demonstrated that the engine doesn't dictate the feel of the game, only the limits.

Now, if you consider that you can't mod *everything* in descent 3, then yes, you could say that it couldn't feel completely like D2. But that doesn't have to do with the engine, that has to do with the fact that D3 isn't open-source and is a completely different argument altogether. That doesn't change the fact that anyone wanting to use D2x-xl for D4 needs to see a psychiatrist.

I am sooooo tempted to throw together a 3D engine just to prove that to you... but i don't have the time :(
Erik McClure

If you were able to completely replace all of the content in D3 with D2 content, it would be indistinguishable except for the bobbing speed of the ship, which was just freaking annoying in D2.
I miss the bobbing...
╔╦╦╪╦╦_
╚╩╬╪╝╞╧╩╪╦
Now what am I supposed to put here?

hey, what about the Crystal light engine or whatever it was called? :rainbow1:

and why wont this project go the way of the other "D4" project?
╔╦╦╪╦╦_
╚╩╬╪╝╞╧╩╪╦
Now what am I supposed to put here?

I miss the bobbing...
Die.

The reason this project won't go the way of the other projects is that if it ever were made into its own standalone game engine using some other engine, it would probably be renamed to "Project Pavilion," which would at least lower the probability of a cease 'n desist order.

At its current state, since this D4 project is a mod for descent 3, it is immune. Or rather, no one is going to give a crap enough to send a cease 'n desist unless D4 was actually being made.

Crystal space 3D is incredibly cumbersome. I would never use it. I much prefer using Ogre or something akin to that. In this case, however, i would want to use a 3D engine that i built myself. I'm planning on making one in the near future anyway.
Erik McClure

I am sooooo tempted to throw together a 3D engine just to prove that to you... but i don't have the time :(
Doooo it!

@Hunter: Nerf him..? WTF?
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
-Steven Wright

Well, believe me, i want to make a 3D engine, but i'm worried its just one more project i won't finish...

Finish Tage, or work on this, finish tage, or work on this....

Well, if i do get something working, i'll show it to you guys. There's a 90% chance of it having HDR when i show it to you :P
Erik McClure