What Is Project Pavilion?

I realized that this portion as a public use forum is useless if no one but the team members actually know what Project Pavilion is. :p

As quite a few Descent fans already know, a true D4 that has it's own system, engine, graphics, and all that, is pretty much impossible to do now, because of severely complicated rights issues. (do not ask me what those issues are, they are too complicated for me to understand fully. :roll: )

However, as the name of this thread suggests, Project Pavilion is to be considered D4. You're probably wondering, that if D4 is impossible, how is this different?

Because all Project Pavilion is, is a add-on custom mission set for D3.

Not what we fans hope for when we hear Descent 4, I know. But Project Pavilion hopefully will amek the best of what we got.

Most D3 custom levels, if they are singleplayer oriented, usually don't have more than a couple levels, and are rarely very complicated. Project Pavilion, however, is going to try to have many levels (about 34 give or take) and hopefully all of them will be on a very professional level. Will feature brand spanking new weapons (with renewed old ones) and hi-poly objects and robots. It will feature a small handful of bouns features, (like robot debris and reflective glass).

It most definately will have stellar storyline, one that has alredy been credited as very Descent worthy and very well planned and thought out. I think fans will not be disappointed when they see it. ;)

And, I think that's everything. :)
"You just struck out for the next five innings" "But it didn't get me!" -Calvin & Hobbes

why don't you use the d2x-xl engine? it is open source.
╔╦╦╪╦╦_
╚╩╬╪╝╞╧╩╪╦
Now what am I supposed to put here?

...Your joking, right? That engine, no matter how much they may have tried to improve it, is fundamentally worse then D3's fusion engine, which is designed from the bottom up to take advantage of actual 3D hardware.

d2x-xl is DOS based, for christs sake! If we really needed to change code we might as well just make our own game...
Erik McClure

why don't you use the d2x-xl engine? it is open source.
Believe me, at first that was exactly what i planned to do, but when it became a group project, it was decided to do it in D3 simply because you could do more in D3.

Tho, I will admit, doing it in D2X-XL would be far easier... :)
"You just struck out for the next five innings" "But it didn't get me!" -Calvin & Hobbes

okay then...

will d4 have the same feel as d2? d3 just had these sorta everything-s-nice-and-clean sorta feel to it that I didn't like.
╔╦╦╪╦╦_
╚╩╬╪╝╞╧╩╪╦

Well this isn't really D4, just a campaign for D3 (the biggest attempted anyway) - There was some debate if it should be named to just Pavilion :)
The Expanse. Watch it!

Since this isn't a real D4 your question is kind of void. It will feel like D3 to my knowledge... But I do believe there is some effort to make levels similar to D2. Making D3 levels look like D2 while still keeping up with modern computers is a big challenge for a level designer - I know what you mean though, and if I had time I'd definitely be putting myself into this team. It's early days so you can always push the ideas to the team and they'll consider them for sure.
The Expanse. Watch it!

I disagree. the only thing that will feel like descent 3 is the HUD and the movement, and that hasn't really changed from D2. The levels and textures are completely dependent on the level designer. I don't think i can emphasize this more than i already have for a dozen different modding projects - the engine has nothing to do with it! All the engine does is set the limits, not how the game looks. You can port a D2 level into D3 and it'll still be the same level. If you say it doesn't have the same "feel" as D2, then your talking about the HUD.

Its been proven time and time again that the graphics engine a game is running on does NOT dictate its feel - the content does. If you stuffed the D3 engine full of D2 content, it would feel like D2.

OK?!
Erik McClure

and that is up to the level designer! IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT ENGINE YOU USE!

I just want to get that point across.
I know. but will the LOOK OF THE DARN GAME BE DESCENT 2'ISH? I guess the answer is to soon to tell.
╔╦╦╪╦╦_
╚╩╬╪╝╞╧╩╪╦