Every-Time-Argument puzzler

Well here's yet another new conditional/String variable oddity for me to bother Goober with :)

Lets say I make an event like this.

Every-time-argument
-every-of
--Beta 1
--Beta 2
--Beta 3
-true
-send-message
--< argument >
--high
All three ships will send the message. However if I do this

Every-time-argument
-every-of
--Beta 1
--Beta 2
--Beta 3
-true
-modify-variable
--StringVariable[Ship]
--< argument >
-send-message
--StringVariable[Ship]
--high
Only the first one sends the message (FRED also complains about the message source being invalid but it works in game). So is this a bug or am I doing something wrong again? :?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

[Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [Mind Games]

Doh! I think I've puzzled it out and if I'm right it was me being stupid.

Only the SEXPs that have < argument > in them are duplicated, right? Any SEXP using an argument is executed once for every argument. Anything else is only executed once.

Oh well I've got a better one now. This one is really odd. Can you use the when SEXP from within every-time-argument? I seem to be getting very weird behaviour when I try. Take a look at this.

I have 3 ships with different classes in Beta wing. Beta 2 is an Ares class.

Here's the event in question.
And here's the behaviour which quite frankly is puzzling the hell out of me.

If I shoot Beta 2 below 50% the variable will update to the current hitpoints of Beta 2 as expected. Until I shoot Beta 1 at that point the variable is set to the current hitpoints of Beta 1 even though Beta 1 is not an ares class and therefore should never trigger the when.

If I shoot Beta 1 below 50% first the variable records damage to Beta 1 (but only once I have also shot Beta 2 below 50%) regardless of whatever I go on to do to Beta 2.

If I shoot Beta 3 below 50% first the variable will never change regardless of who I shoot next.

Changing from every-time-argument to a repeating when-argument has no effect on this behaviour.

:? :? :? :?

If anyone fancies scratching their head trying to figure out what in hell FS2 is doing here's the mission.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

[Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [Mind Games]