Well, I gave your build a try. I'm still getting the rendering problems with the warp vortex. I'm gonna try to edit a mission in FRED and activate the 3D warp effect there and see if it makes any difference.
I haven't been able to reproduce this yet in OGL or D3D. Does it always happen to some extent or are there particular missions that are worse?
There was also some glitches in "Their Finest Hour", but it was different this time. The Colossus refused to destroy the Beast. Now, this may have to do with the fact that I sent out a general command to "Ignore My Tartet" to keep my wingmen from trying to engage it and focus them on the Mara. Rescinding the order however, did not cause the Colossus to resume firing, so there may be some time-critical sequencing scripted into the mission. I was forced to move in and destroy the Beast myself (so I got the kill for it :D ). Once I destroyed the Beast (thanks to a bank of Trebs), it triggered the Sath to jump in, which completed its firing pattern and destroyed the Colossus. I may have to try that mission again and not send the command in question.
I was never able to reproduce the original problem but I did make a change which could affect it (the original problem that is). When you get the chance to try that mission again I'd like to know if it's actually fixed or if that problem is elsewhere.

*nods*

I've been using it to test some stuff. Works perfectly for me, other than the Alt-Tab problem mentioned above.
"I like the funny sounds of parrots squawking,"
- Jimmy Buffet

This build is fast, the loading times are great and the game plays smoothly in-mission. However, when playing the FS1 Port, I am unable to proceed from one mission to the next. When I warp out, die or try to return to the flight deck, the game crashes to desktop.

This build is fast, the loading times are great and the game plays smoothly in-mission. However, when playing the FS1 Port, I am unable to proceed from one mission to the next. When I warp out, die or try to return to the flight deck, the game crashes to desktop.
This could be the end-of-mission crash from the talking head HUD animations. If you go into the HUD Config and turn off talking heads and it stops crashing then we'll know for sure. If that doesn't help then please let me know. Also, if this is only happening in a particular mission please identify which one since some missions seem to trigger this more than others and it would help me when debugging.
I have got problems with the OpenGL option. Everything becomes very very dark..you can barely see a thing (missions and menues).
The gamma slider has been modified to work the same in OpenGL as it does in D3D. The default gamma setting of 1.80 would make it a bit dark so try lowering it and see if that makes a difference. A setting of 1.00 provides no adjustment to the gamma setting. Some hardware doesn't support this at all so if that turns out to be the case please let me know what vid card and drivers you are using.

Disabling the talking heads in the HUD doesn't make a difference to the crash after exiting a mission. I'm also experiencing the problems with the warp effect, where only a pie shaped segment shows up when warping out, though only intermittently. I did try another mission, one of Lightspeed's test missions to show off his new nebula, and the game didn't crash after mission exit.

Oh, I forgot to metion, I'm playing the Port and the mission is the one where you have to kill four wings of Anubi in an asteroid field. It's like the second mission I think.

Well, I got a 2nd chance to try this build. In "Their Finest Hour", I didn't give the "Ignore" order and the mission went as expected. The Colossus destroyed the Beast, and the Sath destroyed the Colossus, so that must be fixed. I also tried a mission I had created some time ago, but using Goober's new FRED, I edited the mission to use the 3D warp effect and the problem I mentioned earlier went away. I therefore restate my opinion that a -enable3DWarp launcher flag would by very well recieved, though for those who want the 2D warp, I suggest you look into this problem.

The mission in which I tested the 3D warp was the "Tombaugh Station Attack" mission I created for the Port and released back in February. Using some of Goober's new sexps, I've enhanced it somewhat, so I may re-release it.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I've had the same problem... and I've got a weird one with Inferno, but I'm trying to work it out on my own. I'll post if I can't figure it out.
"I like the funny sounds of parrots squawking,"
- Jimmy Buffet

Well, I got a 2nd chance to try this build. In "Their Finest Hour", I didn't give the "Ignore" order and the mission went as expected. The Colossus destroyed the Beast, and the Sath destroyed the Colossus, so that must be fixed. I also tried a mission I had created some time ago, but using Goober's new FRED, I edited the mission to use the 3D warp effect and the problem I mentioned earlier went away. I therefore restate my opinion that a -enable3DWarp launcher flag would by very well recieved, though for those who want the 2D warp, I suggest you look into this problem.

The mission in which I tested the 3D warp was the "Tombaugh Station Attack" mission I created for the Port and released back in February. Using some of Goober's new sexps, I've enhanced it somewhat, so I may re-release it.

Later!
Isn't 3d war already covered by the "enable models instead of anis" flag?

Aldo, I believe that flag has to do with showing ship models instead of .ani files in the ship selection screen. This way, you can still see the ship even if the mod you're playing doesn't have any .ani files.
A.K.A. Mongoose, for you HLP denizens

Yep. The warp effect is a whole nother flag.

BTW; my warps look funny too. >.> Either completely gone, or only partially displayed.

Backgrounds looked cut off too, since I know lightspeed would never cut off a nebula in the middle.

Can someone please check OpenGL to see if it renders the warp wrong as well? I don't see any problems in OpenGL, only D3D, but I'd like a second account of that. I'll try it later myself but if someone still has the 20040822 build (or any other old builds) handy try removing the MediaVPs and see if it renders wrong there too. The warp problem could have been there a while since it doesn't affect the 3D version so it would be helpful to try and isolate a date or two of when this might have started.

Raa, check the backgrounds in OpenGL if you don't mind. These two problems could be linked and if so are D3D specific. I don't see any issues with them and OpenGL in my experimental code and I haven't looked that closely at the released builds to know for sure there.