Bump maps I know, they give the impression of geometry in some cases(IE when not veiwed with a light shining directly on them). But what are Displacement Maps and Normal Maps?
My first Armageddon has died.

2005.11.25 06:22:57 combat Your Tachyon Beam Laser I perfectly strikes Ruined Stargate, wrecking for
733.8 damage.

Displacement maps... Max has them... makes the textures all screwey. But I'm probably misusing it. I always thought that bump and displacement maps were one in the same, but I guess not.

Displacement maps go one step further than bumpaps.
They acually deform the model.

Is displacementmapping possible on DX7 hardware?

BTW I'd say go for Pixelshaders. :)

Displacement maps displace certain parts of a texture depending on the perspective, giving the impression of more surface detail and depth if applied correctly.

Normal maps can create enormous amounts of details with a lower-polygonal model, as they store lighting information - especially useful if created from ultra-high-poly models and then used with a in-game version.
Dance with me
Under the soft moon shining,
In the wide open fields
Far beyond the toil and trouble
Of my busy mind.

LS would have a fit though. As he'd think we expect him to make them.:razz:

2005.11.25 06:22:57 combat Your Tachyon Beam Laser I perfectly strikes Ruined Stargate, wrecking for
733.8 damage.

Yeah, yeah. LS, honestly, I just take whatever you make and like it. I don't expect you to do anything for us.

As for the rest of them... I have no idea.
"I like the funny sounds of parrots squawking,"
- Jimmy Buffet

Well, in all truth, LS is a teensy weensy possesive of the work he does for the SCP, but he enjoys it, and he's good at it, and you don't have to use them if you don't want to.

As for bump/normal mapping etc. You can create a normal map from the bump map itself, NVidia provides a Photoshop plugin that'll do it for you.
Check out my music on my YouTube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/user/PRDibble/videos

It won't be full though. Good normal mapping is how the 6-sided cylinder coke cans in Doom3 look round. It's a fairly big deal, but I'd imagine it's hard to impliment.

So that's how they managed to cheat and make everything look so good.

733.8 damage.

Ok just to clear things up about the mapping stuff...even most parts are allready mentioned..but to give an overlook.

Bumpmap->
Gives you the illusion of hights and deepth, but its not their.
Best seen if you take a sphere and place a bumpmap on it...you would think that it has scars, but the outline is still round.

Displacementmaps->
From informatinos stored in the textures the program deforms the mapped object so that even a lowpoly model will look like highpoly...it was used in Doom3 for example.

Normalmaps->
Normalmaps are an more advanced version of Displacementmaps, since they do not only deform an object, but also store informations like lightsources.
Normalmaps...as far as I know wheir not used in Doom3...they used displacementmaps. The first game to use normalmaps will be Unreal ???..forgot the name.

They make for example a castle as a level with a given polycount of over one million or higher.
Then they create out of this a normalmap...put it on a lowpoly model with lets say 5000polys and it still looks like the highpoly model.
Only DX9 will support Normalmaps as far as I know.

What could these things do for Freesoace?
A good combination of Bump and Displacementmaps could make FS2 look like Doom3.
Also Bump and Displacement maps are not that hard to create.
Take a normal texture you have got.
Make it BW and set the levels right an you got a bump/displasment map.

Question is how hard is it to implement and does anyone wants to do it?

I would like to see that kind of step into the next level.
If I could program I would like to help...but I am just a mere modeler.