Hello everyone.

I just found out about FreeSpace Open Source Project yesterday. I then emailed Inquisitor since I couldn't find anything on all the broken websites. Glad I could find you all.

Just to let you know, I am a computer technician. I am studying on my own right now some C# & Managed DirectX and it would be my very long time goal to port all the code in C#. Probably will never happen, but eh, I have faith anyway :lol:

Welcome to the show, Elvedin. HLP is supposedly going to come up in a few days (yeah, Gamespy, we believe you)...

But enough gloom and doom. Welcome, enjoy yourself, try to watch out for the forcefields... those things have a nasty zap to them.
"I like the funny sounds of parrots squawking,"
- Jimmy Buffet

Whoa! Welcome, Elvedin. It's a good thing we got this forum when we did. :D

I think I can tell you right now that we aren't porting FS2 to C#. Just like we aren't porting it to Java. If you don't mind programming in C or C++, though, we'd be happy to have you on board. :)
Fortunes of War
Deus Ex Machina

VWBB Survivor: 12/01-7/04, 130 posts

Out of curiosity, is anyone still working on porting it to Linux?

I remember something about that over at HLP, but I don't remember what it was...
"I like the funny sounds of parrots squawking,"
- Jimmy Buffet

I would be happy to join your ranks. The problem is that I don't have a lot f spare time and that it will be the first time I fiddle with gaming code. I studied C and C++ at school, but we never went to deep in the code.

If you people can bare with me, maybe I can learn enough to do something useful. But it will take time, that's for sure. But I really want to try my best.

I'll start looking at the code when I get home and see if it overwhelms me or not. I will also probably post some functions that I don't understand sometimes. Let's just hope it doesn't bother all of you :razz:

Well, one of the coders, Bobboau, had never written a line of C++ before he started on the SCP if I remember correctly.

His ongoing achievments include Glowmapping, Specular Lighting, environment mapping, volumetric shadows and a host of other things, so I'm sure the SCP will be happy to have another pair of hands :D
Check out my music on my YouTube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/user/PRDibble/videos

Out of curiosity, is anyone still working on porting it to Linux?
I'm working on the Linux and OSX ports. The Linux port is pretty much done, except for what's missing from the icculus.org version of Freespace 2 (which I also work on). Missing stuff includes streaming audio (briefing voices and music) and the real-time voice stuff for multiplayer. There is one other thing that's currently missing but is almost done (not saying what but you could figure it out).

OSX is in about the same shape. I worked with tigital on the OSX port of the icculus.org project and used the same code, plus some new stuff, to do this version. About the only problem with it right now is that it's a pain to get it to build properly under OSX but that will get better.

Very little of the Linux code is in CVS right now though I have started putting peices in that wouldn't hurt the Windows version in any way. A diff between current CVS and my code tree is over 30,000 lines in length so it's not something that's going to go in CVS all that quietly. I'm waiting until just after the next official stable release of the Windows version before adding everything. It's also 64-bit compatible for x86_64 machines if you like that sort of thing.