Who knows, maybe he is right.

Well, who knows meaning I don't.
'Memory and imagination are but one thing, which for diverse considerations, have diverse names'
¦- F R E D E N T H U S I A S T -¦

I don't play Eve but I can tell you guy that you shouldn't take his reviews seriously.

They are more about the humor than actual opinions and if he is biased against a game from the beginning he won't even try to play if properly before mixing it with s###.

Similar thing happened in the The Witcher review he didn't even finish the game but criticized it as just because he doesn't like anything that makes an RPG good.

Then again he might be right... I have never been compelled to any kind of mumorpyger so I don't know.
I H-A-T-E making briefings.

I don't play Eve but I can tell you guy that you shouldn't take his reviews seriously.

They are more about the humor than actual opinions and if he is biased against a game from the beginning he won't even try to play if properly before mixing it with s###.

Similar thing happened in the The Witcher review he didn't even finish the game but criticized it as just because he doesn't like anything that makes an RPG good.

Then again he might be right... I have never been compelled to any kind of mumorpyger so I don't know.
That was obvious from the first rib I broke laughing at his Mass Effect review which I disagreed with on a level of religious exremist proportions. Maybe he should have played the PC version.
'Memory and imagination are but one thing, which for diverse considerations, have diverse names'
¦- F R E D E N T H U S I A S T -¦

If someone talked as fast as that in a normal conversation, they'd get smacked in the face. The art is fun to watch though. :P
The Expanse. Watch it!

I've been accused of talking almost that quickly, actually. No smacks to date, though. :P

Entirely accurate or not, that review generally sums up why I feel that any game in the vein of EVE Online (or any muhmorpuhghr for that matter...hell, thrown in most regular RPGs too...) could never appeal to me. I'm a completionist by nature; I generally play games to go everywhere, see everything, do everything, watch a story unfold, and play it through to its conclusion. The very idea of a game that will never have a set ending, or any real sense of plot progression, or anything outside of endlessly-repetitive grinding for no purpose other than to increase a set of arbitrary numbers seems almost...anathema to me.

But even putting all of that aside for a moment, the whole idea of flying around this massive, beautiful starscape in these amazing starships...and then fighting by clicking your mouse on your enemy a la Maple Story...feels like such a colossal waste. I mean, if you threw the combat model of FS2 into an enormous persistent universe and spiced up its graphics to EVE-level, I'd probably offer to perform some sort of sexual favor for you. But performing the equivalent of playing Solitaire with battleships? Doesn't do it for me.
A.K.A. Mongoose, for you HLP denizens

That's because you don't know how to play a game like EVE, nor does this guy. An MMO is not a shooter or run of the mill space simulator. It's a very deep, complex game that requires much time and effort to play. It's not just about point and clicking. I've heard countless people (many of them posters on SG) talk about EVE in such a way having never played it, yet a year later they are obsessed with the game and can't tear themselves away from it. I can agree that EVE is not as good as it used to be, but the attraction of the game does not really reveal itself to everyone. For me, I was very bored playing EVE during the first couple of months, but I continued playing because I'm a persistent b#stard. After a while I began to get that feeling again, the feeling that I'm playing something worthwhile. The feeling of entering low security space for the first time, the feeling of the first trek through the deeper regions looking for good ore and enemies, the feeling of those first engagements with other players, the fear and heart pounding feeling associated with fighting in a dangerous situation... And, the great memories formed when playing with friends through teamspeak cannot be matched with any other game I know, each player having a unique personality really made even the most boring gate camp a fun time. Playing EVE is like reading a book. You have to read the entire book before you judge it. And don't tell me that EVE has no ending. It ends when you have explored every angle of the game that you are willing to do, it ends when you are ready to retire. Just because you retire from a company doesn't mean the company will close, it goes on, with or without you.
The Expanse. Watch it!

I wasn't really trying to imply that the whole game could be reduced to pointing-and-clicking, though I guess it came out that way. And in fact, it's that very level of complexity that is probably my biggest turn-off to the game as a whole, not the fact that you can't fly around using your joystick. I generally view games as a form of escapism, as a way of putting aside my normal daily routine for a few hours in the interest of doing something enjoyable and different. In that vein, an entire system of gameplay mechanics that seems from the outside as horrifically complex and mind-numbing as the physics texts I was forced to read during college counteracts what I view as the purpose of gaming. It honestly seems more like, well, work than anything else. Hell, I'm having a hard enough time as-is keeping the mechanics of Kingdom Hearts straight while helping my younger brother play through it, and I get the feeling that that's a staggeringly simple title on the entire RPG scale. I know there are tons of people out there who lap this sort of thing up, but I just feel like I have a fundamental incompatibility with the level of immersion it requires, one that precludes me from any desire to even give the free trial a shot. I can't really blame EVE for doing what it does well, but I can say that I'm better off sticking to Descent as the extent of my multiplayer forays.

(But I'll still say that EVE or any MMORPG has no set ending [other than the day the servers are closed], because there's no universally-established final goal you're trying to bring your character to. My rather OCD completionist side couldn't cope very well with that. :P)

I know, but "set out to do" is such a nebulous concept, and if I did decide to stop playing at some point, a part of me would always remain curious about what was going on in the game. There's something comforting to me about reaching the end credits of a singleplayer game and knowing that I've explored every iota of the experience the game's designers put into it. :P

And despite that, I've actually played an MMO-ish game, Myst Online. The only reasons I took that up, though, were because I've been deeply in love with the Myst universe for years, and because it was more of an exploratory community than a traditional achievement-based game to begin with. I'm just happy that it's being brought back from the dead for the second time.

I've never been curious about a single thing that goes on in the game, other than what changes are being made and what new skills / ships / technology is being added. Taking an interest in the fiction of EVE is up to the individual. For me that part of the game never appealed to me. We made our *own* story and finished it when we all called it quits.
The Expanse. Watch it!

There we go, then. I can't make a story to save my life, so I've always been dependent on the stories of others to fulfill my narrative desires. It's the same reason I've never tried FREDding; I could probably master the technical aspects, but I'd have no idea what sort of mission to craft. I suppose it's better to accept that than try to force myself to partake in activities that'd just leave me apathetic. :P

EVE just doesn't work like that Top Gun, it's not about story, it's about having a good time. The story is just there in the background and doesn't really have any impact on players.
The Expanse. Watch it!