Re: Trying to make a list of good yet low profile scifi movi

They filmed a movie set in Glasgow in South Africa? That's a new one...
Tax breaks. Fortunately, it was already a kind of 'suspend your brain' type one. They did film a short bit in a fairly anonymous Glasgow street though (most Glasgow streets don't need any set fx to look post-apocalyptic, and even come presupplied with cannibalistic mutants).

I just watched 9 yesterday (err, this one). It's not really sci-fi (if it is, it's very very very very very very soft), but I thought it was pretty good. Some of the animation was gorgeous as well.

Re: Trying to make a list of good yet low profile scifi movi

Boring does not necessarily mean it was a slow. I don't think Aldo would exclude on those terms.

Then again, I'm not Aldo. So what was it, Aldo?
Bluntly, I don't know. Sometimes these things can be entirely subjective. I don't think it was a pacing issue, though - I'm pretty sure I've watched slower movies without losing interest in the same way.

(depending on how you define 'slow', though - it's obviously not a simple measure of time)

EDIT; thinking about it, it was mostly that for all the neat cinematography - and the nice 3-story interleaving structure - it felt a lot like a very slow journey to a fairly obvious realization.