Re: Using OpenOffice

It's pretty much equal to MS Office for most peoples use, I think. I used OO for my thesis proposal & presentation last year... I struggle to think of a reason for not using the free alternative.

That said, I was more or less forced into buying Ms Office because my employer-sponsor kept wanting stuff in that particular format set (more specifically, they wanted me to use templates defined in PowerPoint for a demo poster).

Been using Open Office since the early days. The latest major release, Open Office 3 is such a big improvement over previous versions. As for MS Office, haven't used that since 03/04, I know in the latest version the layout of the toolbars is all fuked, and thats as far as I got.

I use Open Office on both my laptop running Linux, and desktop running XP. As it accomplishes a majority of what I'm looking for. Some of the formatting can be off when viewing a power point presentation, but it accomplishes the desired task. Additionally, in recent updates, Word 2007 can read the OO formats. Therefore, for most school-related papers and such, odt should do nicely. Assuming your professor is trying to open it on a school-provided computer.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
-Steven Wright

Real men have dictation taken down by a bush, on a mountain... and then shortly thereafter decend with two tablets, etc, etc.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
-Steven Wright