Running Descent I & Descent II on new computers - DXX Rebirth Installer

This is a mirror of 'A Future Pilot's' post for reference. You will need to have the original game files to use it.
I decided to stick this thread here to give the project a little more coverage (even though it has been around for a few years).

You can download it for the latest release here: http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx ... wnload.php

You can check out the source here: https://github.com/Mako88/dxx-rebirth-installer

Here's a bit of info on the addons available from within the installer:

1. Vertigo for D2 (This was an official expansion created by Interplay. You need the original Vertigo files to install it)

2. Retro Mod (This is a modification of Rebirth for the competitive community. Several changes have been made to certain elements [particularly multiplayer elements] to make it even more like the original. Most of these changes should be merged into the official Rebirth code in the next release, so Retro may or may not be needed then. As it stands now though, most competitive play is done with the Retro Mod)

3. Descent Maximum (This is a total conversion of D2 to the PS1 version. To uninstall it delete, or change the extension of D2XR-MAXIMUM.DXA in the main D2X-Rebirth folder)

4. Mission Packs (These are collections of missions. The Rangers are the main multiplayer community currently and they have created both anarchy and co-op mission packs for people to use. The Descent Championship Ladder [DCL] is a group of highly competitive players who challenge each other to 1v1 matches. They have their own missions pack available as well)

5. Soundtracks (These are high-quality recordings of the original MIDI soundtracks in lossless format. If the MIDI music you hear isn't what you remember, one of these packs may be more similar to the soundboard you had back in the day, and therefore will sound like the way you remember it. There are also Redbook audio tracks available as well. After downloading the soundtracks you will have to manually move one of them into the main Rebirth folders from the "Soundtracks" folder to enable it.)

6. German Briefing (This is an addon that converts the text of the briefings into German)

The installer will automatically install an addon that fixes the sound from D1 assets (robots and doors and such) in D2. If you like hearing those sounds all sped up and such, just delete or rename the extension of UUD2SP.DXA in the main D2X-Rebirth folder.

I would recommend getting the Retro Mod (because many in the multiplayer community use it), all the mission packs (although if bandwidth is an issue, don't worry about the co-op ones), and whichever soundtracks you prefer.

Notes:

1. When you uninstall, you are given the option of removing the installation folders or not. If you select yes it will remove the D*X-Rebirth folders and everything in them (including any missions or anything you may have installed).

2. If you have any issues contact A Future Pilot @ dxx-rebirth.com

3. If you previously had Rebirth installed in a folder (i.e. C:\Games\D*X-Rebirth) the installer will move your old installation into a DXX-Rebirth subdirectory (i.e. C:\Games\DXX-Rebirth\D*X-Rebirth). It will also remove the uninstall files that were originally left in the install folder (i.e. C:\Games).

4. There was a bug in an older version of the installer that would place the demo data into the main installation folder whether or not you wanted it installed. This bug has been fixed, however there was no way to reliably fix this problem with existing installations. You will have to delete the demo files manually. For D1 the files are descent.hog and descent.pig in the main folder (your actual data files should be in the /Data directory). For D2 the files are d2demo.ham, d2demo.hog, and d2demo.pig. You may also want to delete the d*x-rebirth-retro.ico file if you don't have the Retro mod installed (this is just the icon file and won't do any harm by being there, but just for completeness sake I decided to mention it). As I said, this bug has been fixed, so if you use the current version of the installer it will only install the shareware files if you select them in the components dialog (and only install the retro icon if you install the mod).

5. If, when you update your installer it says the new revision is 999 it means you are updating from a pre-download-overhaul installer to a post-download-overhaul one. Just so you know.
The Expanse. Watch it!