Descent 3

Circa 10 years ago they made D3

Circa 4 years ago Mr Roanoke buys it

Circa 2 hours ago Mr Roanoke installs it

Circa 1hr 30mins later Mr Roanoke likes it (after much compatability tomfoolery) but struggles to map the controls to something that feels instinctive.

Probably 8 years too late but there you go. :oops:

The controls can be mapped better than any other game... Considering the three dimensional nature of the game. So your doing single player, or multiplayer?
The Expanse. Watch it!

For multiplayer you're gunna want the 1.4 patch from www,descent3.com Assuming the site didn't go down again... If you ever want a couple lessons in a 1v1 server sometime, let me know so we can set it up.

BTW, do you have Teamspeak or Ventrilo installed?
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
-Steven Wright

The controls can be mapped better than any other game... Considering the three dimensional nature of the game. So your doing single player, or multiplayer?
I'm trying to play it like a FPS ("awsd") and it's not really working so far.
Staying off line as I'm on ze dial-up. :|
For multiplayer you're gunna want the 1.4 patch from www,descent3.com Assuming the site didn't go down again... If you ever want a couple lessons in a 1v1 server sometime, let me know so we can set it up.

BTW, do you have Teamspeak or Ventrilo installed?
Um, neither, as I don't know what they are.....

Programs used for voice communication over the internet, speeds some things along.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
-Steven Wright

Anyway, grab yourself a copy of Vortex and also get yourself plugged into the new content available for D3 (Mods, Missions, etc) so if you continue to play, you'll discover some great stuff.. :)

But you really need a joystick. The learning curve for D3 with keyboard and/or mouse only is pretty steep. Especially in multiplayer. But, I played D1, D2 and some of D3 with keys only, so it's not impossible.. :)
The Expanse. Watch it!

I was going to say, I do all of my playing with a keyboard and mouse. Not exactly the best player in the world, but I've been known to occasionally give people a real run for their money once I'm warmed up. ;)
"You just struck out for the next five innings" "But it didn't get me!" -Calvin & Hobbes

One of the best players ever in D3, l0m, now long since retired, used a mouse. No one says it can't be done, but I think the learning curve is higher.
The Expanse. Watch it!

If you get that PP working I've got a set up that you can use, kb+joy, works like a champ, as soon as your brain gets straight that foreward + backwards = going nowhere.
-Steven Wright

The PPro is great for D3 ~ I miss mine! Not easy to find anymore. Have a bunch of them collecting dust in my closet, sadly all with worn down hats (worn inner components).
The Expanse. Watch it!

I can get you talking with Grendel (te guy who made the USB converter. He knows where you can purchase the hat switches in bulk, so next time one breaks, put in a new one. And, by the way, if you don't use your hat switch for sliding, you don't wear them down near as fast :p
-Steven Wright

I've downloaded the v1.4 patch. Can I got straight from v1.0 or is there something inbetween ?

I'm stuck, trying to get the priest icon too, with those little martian nomad dudes wandering around in the other room....