Technical issue...

Whenever i try to load my level, D3 gives me the following error:

"Error: couldn't find a free polymodel."

Specific .oof files (consequently any new .oof that I make from now on) seem to cause the problem. It is not the number of .oof's; I know that for certain (I only loaded one recently created model and it still caused the error). Any help that can be given is greatly appreciated. :)

I'm not familiar with this problem, but I have experienced it a couple of times. Since I don't keep a log book (hits head) I can't remember how to resolve it. Someone might be able to give you an exact answer. However - This problem occurs when one or more of your OOF objects contains too many polygons or sub-objects (in a typical OOF editor, unless your object is seamless each section will get seperated into a sub-object). You need to merge all the sub-objects into the mainframe EXCEPT for sub-objects that have things attached to them, I.E gunpoints, attachpoints or lights. In OOFEditor, just hold down shift as you drag sub-objects into the mainframe. This will merge them together. Also, you should nest your sub-objects with the CTRL key (Not sure if D3 notices the difference, but it's tidier).

Although D3 treats one object as a whole, each part is considered a debry chunk - The limit is somewhere over the 40-50 range.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Uhhh, that didn't work. What's worse, all of the .oof's that worked before (which I modified for the heck of it) now cause the problem as well. Would it help if I sent the file to you?

How much custom stuff do you have in the table? Try removing some things, see if it works. If it does - Then its simply the custom indexing limit.
The Expanse. Watch it!

No, that isn't it either. Here's what's happening: any new .oof that I make or modify (beggining as of November 2005) happens to cause this problem. If I remove their entry from the gam tablefile, everything works fine and dandy. The number of entries within the gam tablefile isn't causing it either, because I have added at least 20+ textures since then, all of which work fine. It's not the texture size (256x256) because I degraded them all to 128x128 and the problem still occures. It's not the custom sounds (of which there are currently only four) because I have had them for a while now (September 2005) and they never caused a problem before. It's not the level either (of which I've tried extremely complex ones and ones that are just a box). Quite frankly I'm at my wit's end. I think I'll just e-mail the whole kaboodle to you. :oops:

... Trust me, they are. I should've made a editing diary from the beginning, then I could post it for people to reference. Weirdness is my middle name.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Ok, sorry to bring up a dead topic, but I'm having trouble with objects - again. Except this time, it's a tad different. I can have D3 load however many objects I want, but after so many (around 50) it refuses to page in some, and replaces them with antennae. Is there a limit as to how many objects you can have? If so, is there any way around it? And if not, what am I doing wrong (I can provide you the .mn3 if you want)?

Secondly, is there any way to get transparency into .ogf/.oaf's. I tried to use aldel's GIMP plug-in, but it and won't work. Is there any other way to accomplish this?

Hehe, sorry for so many problems. Thanks for your advice in advance. :)

Yes, 24 is the limit in version 1.4. You need to start changing the name of your object entries to those already in D3 I.E MyObject becomes Hellion. I've had to do this in my project, and I've written up a database in excel so I can keep track of whats what. :)

When you say transparent, do you mean alpha channels or the outline? Typically D3 ingame will treat RGB Black and pure Green as transparent for both OAF/OGF. You can adjust the alpha in the tablefile entry for a transparent effect of the whole texture. It goes from 0.0 to 1.0, so 0.5 would be half transparent. It works for both formats. Use D3 Image Tool for converting your images.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Errr...I have been naming my objects that way - that was how I got past the free-polymodel error.

As for transparancy, I mean transparency that I put into the picture itself when I made it, like if I was designing a .png or .gif. I know about alpha, saturation (is there a way to saturate the white?), and such, but I want to have it originally within the picture itself. I tried to leave fields black, pink, purple, and green in the picture, and then convert it in the Image Tool, but it didn't work.

Uh, and I think that's it. :p

Ok, but no trolling 'Err's', mmk? Just a simple misunderstanding of how you typed your post. However, are you sure your doing that? I don't mean the OOF files like last time, I mean the actual name of the table entry in the GAM file.

I don't understand what your doing with the texture, you'd have to show it to me since I don't work well with words.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Ok, it worked; the problem has gone. Thanks! :D

As for my other question, it's like this: I designed an image with transparency:
However, when I convert it to an .tga, then .ogf, I lose all of the transparency in the image (since .tga doesn't support it). Is there any way to keep these transparent "holes" in my picture?

EDIT: Darn, since it's a black backround, you can't see it. :dead: