Startup problems

I seem to have suddenly developed yet another problem with my hardware.

When I startup my computer, sometimes it doesn't boot into BIOS - I just get a blank screen and no signal. I determined by process of elimination that it was my graphic card and/or related to the GPU, a Radeon HD series. Removing the GPU resulted in a flawless startup.

But, my graphic card still actually works. I am able to get the machine started up 'sometimes' if I open the case and remove the card, then put it back in again. Then it will startup. This usually happens while the tower is laying down on it's back, however when I try to startup again later on, with the tower standing up, I again am back to a blank screen.

Once the computer has booted into Windows I have relatively no trouble, and it works fine until I decide to turn it off again. However, yesterday I did get a bunch of 'lines and colours' on my screen a few times and the GPU went into overdrive with the fan spinning at full speed, at which point everything froze up.

Any ideas?
The Expanse. Watch it!

Re: Startup problems

This may be the first thing you checked, but is the fan always spinning correctly? I'm wondering if the change in orientation is 'loosening' it enough, and otherwise it's overheating. That said, I'd expect an overheat to take a wee while - at least enough to see the BIOS.

(the lines and colours thing could be symptomatic of an overheat, at least it sounds like when my old GPU burnt out)

I don't think it's an overheat because it happens when I turn it on the morning, after it's been off for several hours. Oh, and it still fails to startup when on it's back - it just seems to occur more often standing up. No way to know if it's connected. For some reason fiddling around inside the case gets it started.

The problem is definitely GPU related, but I only had this Radeon serviced a month ago so I am at a loss.

Once the computer is running I seem to have no problems. I can run the most intense 3D application possible and I get no lines, freezes or shutdowns. I can restart fine, too. But if I shutdown and proceed to startup again, I get a blank screen 90% of the time. Power is getting to everything, so it's not a PSU issue (it's a Corsair). I have to open the case, fiddle about with the cables, push down on all the hardware to make sure it's secure, then I can get a startup. Sometimes I get a blank screen with no signal (red light). Sometimes I get a signal but it's black and not doing anything.
The Expanse. Watch it!

The first bit sounds like a loose connection somewhere, the last bit sounds like failing hardware. Can you try the card in a different slot? Also try plugging it into a different cable from the PSU, if you have multiple PCI-E power connectors.

I've never heard of dual monitors causing a problem like that. If there's a problem with dual monitors usually it will either display on Monitor 1 only or mirror both (My BIOS and pre-windows boot stuff is on both monitors, for example). Then again, it couldn't hurt to check, I suppose.

When it does this, have you tried unplugging the monitors from the GPU and plugging them back in? I'm interested to see if the machine is actually not doing anything, or if there's just no picture. Also, is there hard drive activity and does the computer show up on the network? Have you tried plugging a monitor into the onboard video (if applicable) when it does this?

No, it doesn't boot at all. It just powers up and seems to hang before bios. The hard drive, GPU, CPU fan etc all seem to be running (and the disk does indeed make noise for the first few seconds).
The Expanse. Watch it!

This scenario is exactly why I always try to avoid getting a motherboard without onboard video of some sort. I don't yet have a parts collection extensive enough to deal with video card failure.

I don't suppose it gives any beep codes? How do you know that it doesn't boot if you can't see a picture?

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but the orientation issues alone make it sound like some sort of connection issue is likely. Maybe there's something up with your PCI-E slot, or else the connectors on the card itself. Unfortunately I don't know of any way to confirm either of those without having a spare card around. If I wasn't half the planet away from you, I'd offer to send you my old Radeon X300 to test with. :P
A.K.A. Mongoose, for you HLP denizens

I think the orientation thing is just a fluke, since I usually get it started up on it's back while I am still working on it.

Meh, I will just have to take my hardware down a repair shop and get it tested.
The Expanse. Watch it!