Re: Startup problems

Well after a few days of this here is what I have determined:

1. 9 of 10 startups are failures. No signal, no bios and no USB power after 10 seconds. Everything spins and whirs, though.
2. Of the startups that DO work, it usually stalls somewhere between bios-windows and the screen goes blank. Then suddenly the machine restarts and loads normally.
3. Once Windows is fully loaded, the GPU spins up at full speed for about 5 seconds, then everything seems normal.
4. I can run graphic intensive programs all day without any issues.
5. Hibernation also doesn't work. The computer doesn't wake up after.
6. Restarts DO work and seem to never fail to boot.

Almost seems like an issue with power getting to the GPU and/or PCI-E slot?
The Expanse. Watch it!

It seems a bit like a problem with the PCI-E slot, but I'm not convinced. I would think if the PCI-E slot was getting no power it would just boot up normally on the onboard video, and if it was getting partial power (enough to detect a card in the slot) you'd get an error. And it also seems weird that that would cause hibernation not to work. Plus most of the power to a GPU comes from the PCI-E power connector, not the slot itself. Do you have another PCI-E power connector on your PSU that you can try? Or even just another PSU you can try a bit of open-case troubleshooting with.

At this point it almost sounds like a motherboard problem to me, but it's always difficult to say for sure. I would think a PCI-E slot problem would manifest itself during operation and not just during boot.

Plus most of the power to a GPU comes from the PCI-E power connector, not the slot itself.
That depends on the level of card, actually. I'm running an HD4670 on this old fossil, and it doesn't even have a PCI-E power connector...it draws all the required power through the PCI-E slot itself. Unless I've missed something, I don't think Hunter has mentioned which is the case for him.
A.K.A. Mongoose, for you HLP denizens

There might be a worn-down / burnt-out connection pin. It could also be throwing errors the whole time, and it just keeps on keeping on after startup (but fails and quits during).
"Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny, and old wounds open all too easily."