Need help to contact HLP, please :(

Hello, Sectorgame comrades.

I'm Alex Navarro, FreeSpace 2 spaniard translator and novice modder (The Great War: Independence). I've been an user and player of FreeSpace 2 and Hard-Light Productions for many years (player since 1999, of course lol). And I'm calling for your help, please.

It seems I was banned from HLP a couple of weeks ago. And not only me, but the entire island where I live. Everytime I try to enter to HLP forums (from different computers in different places) I get this message:
An Error Has Occurred!

Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!
This Hostname/Domain has been banned due to too many attempts or due to too many multiple account registrations.
This ban is not set to expire.
I can't even visit the page as a guest. I don't know what this means. A hacker trying to screw HLP from my PC or something? Or is it an administration mistake?

Please, any of you can help me figure out what's happening, try to contact with any HLP moderator? If I was banned from there, I would like to know why.

Thank you for listening. I hope this is just a missunderstanding :(

Re: Need help to contact HLP, please :(

Yeah, unfortunately some of the filtering measures have been a bit overzealous, and have inadvertently targeted actual people.
Hey, this is Europe. We took it from nobody; we won it from the bare soil that the ice left. The bones of our ancestors, and the stones of their works, are everywhere. Our liberties were won in wars and revolutions so terrible that we do not fear our governors: they fear us. Our children giggle and eat ice-cream in the palaces of past rulers. We snap our fingers at kings. We laugh at popes. When we have built up tyrants, we have brought them down. And we have nuclear weapons. -Ken MacLeod

Oh hey, I do have an account here. Wacky.

Anyway, I was able to pull up your account details on HLP, but the domain used the last time you connected is not listed, just IP address. Which, since that was not specifically banned, means that it happened on a hotsmask/domain name level.

I'd need to know what your connections announced domain name or registered hostmask is in order to remove which ever ban trigger is blocking it.

And while "overzealous" might be applicable in this case, there are some IP blocks that are so saturated that it's usually easier and safer to start large and then whittle down rather than tackle them block at a time. And for the fact that I'm only one person and so far as I am aware, the -only- person attempting to do anything about the sudden and rampant upsurge in spam and bot registrations, it's in a word "overwhelming" and for lack of anybody else doing it means there isn't anybody else doing any better. At some point very soon, that will all be moot and we won't have to rely on ban triggers to keep the forums relatively clean (and if you think that it's not so bad now, you don't want to see what would happen if I removed all of them).
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!

I'd prefer to address the problem of allowing legitimate (non-bot members) to be able to access directly without having to go through proxies that can just as easily be blocked (and some of them probably are)

(In case it was not clear from the tone used to address the issue, yes, I am an Administrator on HLP. :D Just realized that such a fact might not have been obvious. And a reply via PM would work perfectly. Or if you have IRC, Esper.net has a #hard-light channel)
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!

Why do you even care, gary?
Hey, this is Europe. We took it from nobody; we won it from the bare soil that the ice left. The bones of our ancestors, and the stones of their works, are everywhere. Our liberties were won in wars and revolutions so terrible that we do not fear our governors: they fear us. Our children giggle and eat ice-cream in the palaces of past rulers. We snap our fingers at kings. We laugh at popes. When we have built up tyrants, we have brought them down. And we have nuclear weapons. -Ken MacLeod