Trying to make a list of good yet low profile scifi movies

So, er, stuff like District 9 doesn't count, because I'm pretty sure everyone here will have heard of it. I'm thinking stuff like Sunshine (which is pretty big-budget, with some reasonably well-known actors, but I don't think is too well known of) and especially Moon (which was only limited release, yet is probably the best 'pure' science fiction film I've seen in the last decade).

Mostly because I'm trying to figure out what DVDs to buy.

Any thoughts?

Re: Trying to make a list of good yet low profile scifi movi

We all know Event Horizon was the first Warhammer 40k movie.

Or to put it into perspective: the art direction, what happens to people, and what happened to the ship would all fit right in with 40k and making an unprotected Warp jump according to the lore. Considering making an unprotected Warp jump will result in immediate fates worth than death for all involved, this is a seriously fucked-up movie and goes to extremes other horror movies do not.
IAR
A Numbered Existence
In The Service
Monsters
SAMAS

Re: Trying to make a list of good yet low profile scifi movi

No CGI = good. Honestly, does really anyone care about special f/x anymore ?
Honestly, I actually have more interest in the CGI than the story nowadays - probably from my past history as a frustrated 3d 'artist'. It's how I managed to actually enjoy Battle:LA, despite it having literally no plot whatsoever.

Oh, also, Doomsday is another film - a sort of B-movie Mad Max in Scotland type thing, which I watched mostly because a) it was set partly in Glasgow (but filmed in South Africa, so watching it was more a case of 'where the f### is this meant to be?') and b) I'd inadvertently visited one of the filming locations the day after they wrapped (so we got in cheap, because half of the place was still filled with styrofoam rocks and the like).