Stomach bug/gerd.. what is it?

Ok, so I've got this weird stomach problem bugging me at the moment - and as always, the symptoms are unique and difficult to determine. My best guesses are a form of GERD (gastric reflux) or a weak case of food poisoning. On Saturday morning I woke up with this pressure feeling in the center of my chest. I assumed it was because I was hungry - It felt kind of like hunger pains. I hadn't eaten much for 2 days prior so it seemed like the natural outcome. But that wasn't the case. The feeling didn't go away for the whole day - and although no other symptoms were present, I did have the urge to belch and pass wind a lot more than usual. Anyway, by the evening I was feeling a bit better and assumed it was passing - until the next morning when I woke up with the exact same pressure in my chest. The urge to belch was huge, I went straight to the bathroom assuming I was about to throw up (that's how it felt) but nothing happened. Just belching, farting and passing of stools. I went to the bathroom about 3 more times that day. Again, as the day went on it felt a bit better. Today, the same thing occured. The pressure was very uncomfortable. This time around I did throw up twice, but nothing came out. Just air and a lot more saliva than usual.

The pressure tends to be worse when laying down or sitting up straight - but relieved somewhat by standing or leaning forward. That's usually the complete opposite of my past experiences with digestive complains. So does anyone have experience with this? It essentially feels like someone is blowing up a balloon at the center of my chest (to the lower part near the stomach entrance). For the past 1/2 weeks I've had a pretty bad cold, which started off in the head and moved down a few days later. I've been swallowing foul tasting mucus all day long for the past few days - I have a hunch that also could be a contributing factor.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Re: Stomach bug/gerd.. what is it?

My guess is that something fouled up the friendly bugs in your GI tract, thus producing excess gas... I'd stick with what your Doc says.

Disclaimer: I only have an imcomplete EMT-B class' worth of medical knowledge at ym disposal. My words do not reflect the opinions of Sectorgame.com, its administration or affiliates.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
-Steven Wright