Updating the forums

I've been thinking about updating the forums, or rather, replacing it entirely with a new piece of software. Firstly I will look into viable software options (remember that all data must be portable from phpbb2) and then set about looking for a good, suitable template. Any recommendations while I get thinking?
The Expanse. Watch it!

Don't quote me, but I'm fairly certain phpbb3 features upgrade options. Apart from that you're pretty much SOL as far as free options from phpbb2. If you can convert to phpbb3, you can convert to several options from there, I think SMF and IBP (not free) both support phpbb3 transfers.

Can I ask what prompted the want to upgrade?

It's getting harder to integrate new features into this one, and some of the 'addons' just don't seem to work anymore. I could alternatively look at an overhaul for the forum, rather than a mass update. Mainly, I just feel it is time for a change...
The Expanse. Watch it!

I've looked at phpbb3 a few times in the past - I was never quite satisfied with the templates available in phpbb3 - they are too different from our current template. And building one similar to the current one would take a fair bit of time, because there is no foundation template that is remotely similar.

I guess an entirely new theme would be in order.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Noooooooooo......

Call me heavily resistant to change, but I wouldn't want a different forum theme.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
-Steven Wright

Maybe it should go to a vote. I rather like this theme, but would definitely be happier if the backbone software was updated.
The Expanse. Watch it!

I'm sure you can find a similar style to this. phpbb3 has subsilver 2, which is basically a redone version of this style format to work phpbb3.

You certainly won't find anything closer in any other software.

Although, honestly... When was the last time you changed anything on these forums, hunter?

One thing I've noticed about phpbb3 is all the information about each user is on the right side of the screen. It just doesn't look 'right' to me. I am very atttached to forums that have user info in the left table. But I will keep poking around - I am currently looking at upgrading options for when/if we move to phpbb3. Right now, and it might sound strange, but our current template just looks so much better than nearly every phpbb3 template I have found so far.
The Expanse. Watch it!

True, but it's still lacking something. I think it will take a while to find a suitable style and/or build a new one that is as close as possible to this one. Either way, I will be attempting it soon. I've already installed phpbb3 on the server . ;)
The Expanse. Watch it!

Yay! Even DescentBB.net upgraded their ancient forum software to phpBB3.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
-Steven Wright