Buying a '360

I fancy Forza3 and my (original) X-Box died recently. I haven't been paying attention to consoles for, well, ages actually.

Probably be looking at used as I'm too tight to pay full wack and I've more important stuff to waste the hard earned on.

Do they still do the usual ring-o-death thing ? And I see a few have disc drive issues ? Any known fixes ?

Education please. I'm only putting up £100-max.

I think they're generally ok now, but you have to google for the latest model numbers, etc, to find the most reliable motherboards.

I wouldn't buy one myself though, as Mrs Aldo banned me and recommended we buy badminton rackets instead.

Never been a big console fan to be honest, but I suppose if I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the 360, even with the RROD problems.
Check out my music on my YouTube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/user/PRDibble/videos

There were any number of older PS2s that bit the bucket, though my family's is somehow still kicking. Nintendo hardware is another thing entirely, as they've been engineering their products well for years (at least, once you get past the old finicky NES). I've heard tales of people dropping GameCubes several feet onto concrete and having them still work just fine, and those Wiimotes that some idiots managed to send flying into their LCD TVs kept working after extracted from the remains. :P
A.K.A. Mongoose, for you HLP denizens

aiieee!! I just spunked £80 on something I don't even need!

Time for a decrepid console clearout I think. Xbox can go to the tip unless it fixes itself, GC and DC can get chucled on ebay. I'll keep the PS1 and SNES Ta.

I do however want to get the new PS3, but it won't play PS2 games and my parents won't get it if it means they can't get rid of the PS2. /facepalm

Do we think these are realistic valuations for the Ebay smackheads ? They have all the leads, 1 controller and memory cards but not aren't boxed.

GC - Res.Evil 1 & Stratergy Guide, Burnout, Metroid Prime 1&2, Batallion Wars, WaveRace, SC-Pandora Tmorrow, Prince of Persia, LoZ WindWaker & Ocarina Ltd Edition, Geist, LoR TwinTowers and maybe 1 or 2 others. -£40-45

PS1 - GT 1&2, Tekken 2&3, GPolice, FF7 & Stratergy guide, Ghost in the Shell and maybe 1 or 2 others - £20

N64 - Mario, Body Harvest, Lylat Wars, Jet Force Gemini, TopGear Rally and maye 1 or 2 others - £20

Not so unrealistic I think ? With "free" postage (at about £8 each).

Actually I had quick peep on ebay and if anything they seem more interested on 64s than PS1s....

edit: DC & Xbox will have to be binned as they're both ker-knackered :(

You know, the 360 was originally backwards compatible. But then it turned around.
"Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny, and old wounds open all too easily."

what, did a "360" ? HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! etc
edit: oh wait so I'd have to get an X-Box as well to play the odd bout of Halo ? :|

GC & N64 provisionally sold yay!

Actually I had quick peep on ebay and if anything they seem more interested on 64s than PS1s....
That's because, for most intents and purposes, the PS2 is completely backwards-compatible with the PS1. Other than nostalgia and/or hardware collection, there's no real point to having the lovable old gray box if you already have the lovable not-so-old black box.
A.K.A. Mongoose, for you HLP denizens