I should point out that I don't put enough value in TV to pay for any satellite/cable channels so this is about retrospective DVD boxsets and the like.

Seasons one and two are both really good from a technical PoV. You can really see how well the sets have been build, the lighting, the cinematography - all that stuff sort of declined a bit over time, but it's absolutely top notch in the first few seasons, especially by TV standards.
TI - Coming in 2011 - Promise!
:flag9:
"Everyone has to wear clothes, and if you don't, you get arrested!" - Mr. T

I thought it lost it's way (SG1) a bit when it introduced Prometheus though. Lost the link with the real world that, IMO, was a lot of its strength.

I didn't mind Prometheus so much, because it looked (kinda) like a modern ship inside, kept getting its arse kicked and broke down a lot, which is what you'd expect of earth's first foray into capital ships. In fact, I liked a lot of their attemps to deal with earth tech early on - the retrofitted death glider going bad was in a similar vein - they were deliberately saying that we didn't knwo what we were doing with this technology. Later, when they got the unbeatable Daedalus and the X-302 which easily seemed to decimate death gliders - that was when they really left the "real world" setting behind, IMO.
TI - Coming in 2011 - Promise!
:flag9:
"Everyone has to wear clothes, and if you don't, you get arrested!" - Mr. T

Fair point, yeah - I should say, I don't think the show jumped the shark as such, but that's the point where it started going slightly downhill for me. My complaint about Prometheus - even though I think it's a pretty cool design - is purely that it's a bit big and ambitious compared to what came before. Although thinking about it, there is some believability considering the size of naval ships etc, so maybe I've been a bit harsh in that.

The 304s weren't entirely successful either. They got their ass kicked fairly often too, right up until Unending, the last episode. (In fact, the Daedali were, until Asgard beams, significantly shortchanged; you can make out about twice as many railguns on them as they ever fire; and the rails had zero visible terminal effect most of the time.) Both the X-303 and X-304 classes are actually, relatively speaking, quite small. We see them in comparison to single people once each, and they're not as big as most earth-bound destroyer classes. They might be about as big as an LCS, though that seems ridiculous, but it would account for the tiny crew.

The 302's success reflects the main advantage of Tauri weaponry; it's designed to kill wholesale, not retail, and it's designed to do it very efficently. They downed a Death Glider with a Stinger missile as early as season 2, so any thoughts that Earthly aircraft with long-ranged missiles were not going to lay waste confronting Death Gliders were pure self-delusion, guys.

No, mine is more character based. I don't know if it was RDA's physical condition, his ego, or the fact he was backing one of the companies involved in production, but they tended to treat Jack with a certain dignity that was suitable to General O'Neill, but not Colonel O'Neill. Can you really imagine Jack falling in the mud repeatedly fighting the Black Knight like Mitchell did?
IAR
A Numbered Existence
In The Service
Monsters
SAMAS

I just found the leap from being a nation that hadn't even replaced the space shuttle, to being one with a fully functioning interstellar battleship, a bit much to handle even with the caveats you mentioned. Mind you, I'm not saying that it ruined it or anything - I just felt that it removed a fair bit of the more plausible grounding that the series established by being set in the present.

I still like and all, but I can't help wonder (now) what could have been done if they'd had a bit more focus on future shock.