Certificate Stealing

Sometime ago I gave in some GCSE and A-Level certificates to my university as part of the application process. These are required to certify you have graduated from school etc etc. I believe they are supposed to look at the original documents and then copy them, so you can have the original back. But what does my university do? They just took them didn't they. At the time, I wasn't aware of this - naturally I was to busy thinking about the application process to actually consider what would happen. I just assumed, like my previous university, they would be able to return them. And naturally, I always get in a bit of a fuss when filling out forms and having to sort this and that paper out. I didn't think about my precious certificates. So, some months later, I suddenly remember that I will need those certificates again in the future should I chose to enter another university programme. I send an e-mail to my uni, and enquire about my papers and if they are holding them.

They do not answer directly 'no' or 'yes' to that question, but instead just tell me that all application material is non-returnable and that it is clearly stated on the website and application booklet that any documents entered are not returned. And what is that rule anyway? Is it really so hard to hold onto someones hard earned certificates? Does it burn a hole in their filing cabinet or something? Naturally I try to pursuade them to give me the documents but they flat out refuse. Ofcourse, in this modern world everyone acts like f#####g machines and has no feelings whatsoever. 60 seconds is all it would take to check for my papers. I can only assume they were destroyed or filed away some dark place that no one can go.

I am royally pissed off at my university for withholding my original certificates and to be honest, I have tried to think of ways I can get them back but I have really no idea. I guess I have lost them. Sure, I can file for replacements at the education sites but those take months and hundreds of pounds in total to get back, ASSUMING they issue them at all - usually theft or damage from fire is the only case in which they issue copies. I am not sure if it's an oversight on their part, but I am fairly sure they are supposed to photocopy them, yes?? That's their job to remember and do AT THE EXACT moment I give them in. It's not my fault that they simply TOOK them, didn't copy them, and just processed my application like someone swiping a can of baked beans at the checkout in ASDA.

If this were America, I bet I'd be able to charge them with theft or take somekind of legal action on their ass.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Depending on your citizenship status, you might still be able to do something like that.
"Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny, and old wounds open all too easily."

Depending on your citizenship status, you might still be able to do something like that.

Doesn't matter what you're citizenship status is, you can still use the courts if you need to. Either that or hire a private investigator.