It appears we are at a disagreement. Lets agree to disagree, at least until the next major conflict :P

Don't forget, the F-22 has stealth capability to all but the most specialized radars. If the performance of the plane is not enough, I would think that would be the trump card...
http://www.game-warden.com/

F-22 > all

Sure it is highly specialized, but that is what makes it such a great interceptor

I was sad when the US govt ended their orders so suddenly after spending all of that time and money developing the F-22. I know cuts are reasonable, but simply ending the program is a little vain IMO

That specialization comes at a price not related to dollars: Usefulness.

the MiG-29 was touted on export as a multirole aircraft but the sad truth is it's got almost no real air-to-surface guided weapons capablity,

Because it was never designed to be a multirole aircraft, it was intended to be a short ranged interceptor.

If I can carry a bomb, I can drop a bomb. It doesn't take a dedicated bomber to hit a target with a laser-guided bomb.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but the YF-23 seems remarkable similar to the F-22.

If I can carry a bomb, I can drop a bomb. It doesn't take a dedicated bomber to hit a target with a laser-guided bomb.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but the YF-23 seems remarkable similar to the F-22.
Actually, yeah, it does, since the F-22 doesn't have the provision to do its own laser guidance. I mean sure, you can drop JDAMs and s###, but there are cheaper aircraft to do it from that don't break down en route to the target. The only time anyone's tested the F-22 for ground attack in front of the Defense Secretary the damn thing crashed.

The YF-23 would have been slightly larger, had slightly better stealth characteristics anyways, been at least no worse in the breaks-down-like-a-little-b**ch category, had a heavier payload including optional wing hardpoints like the F-35, and been intended for multirole with full integration of guided weapons options instead of trying to shoehorn it in ex post facto.
IAR
A Numbered Existence
In The Service
Monsters
SAMAS

I feel the need to point out that JDAMs (at least the ones used in Operation Iraqi Freedom) don't work very well.
"Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny, and old wounds open all too easily."

Ooh, that's nice.

So how much for two?
'Memory and imagination are but one thing, which for diverse considerations, have diverse names'
¦- F R E D E N T H U S I A S T -¦