I just watched this film, erm....

Does anyone think that this film would have done better if :-

a) They hadn't broken the Prime Directive about 4 times in the first ten minutes.

b) The 'Bad Guy' hadn't looked so much like Dr Evil?

Flipside :)
Check out my music on my YouTube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/user/PRDibble/videos

Ive got the DVD, the movie would have been MUCH better with the deleted scenes included. I thought the plot lacked any real feeling or drama. Great space battles, awesome on that front. But I'm getting somekind of "desperate" attempt by Rick Berman trying to produce a Star Wars Trek? But otherwise it would make a good TV movie rather than a blockbuster. Good acting as usual - But several plot holes including : B4 being the first android, Worf being back in Starfleet, the Enterprise using some kind of weird shield-system and not the cool Bubble effect.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Oh - I LOVED that scene at the beginning, DIE YOU ROMULANS! Sadly I felt sorry for them, they would've made better Villans than those vampire.. er.. Remans ;)
The Expanse. Watch it!

Not only that, but the Scimitar was Waaaaay too powerful, a cool ship, and I could believe the Romulans capable of building such a vessel, almost, with enhanced cloak and weapons etc, but if the Remans are capable of that kind of technology, why the hell were they not running the sector already? Even a small fleet of less powerful ships with 'perfect cloaking' and the abilty to fire while cloaked, would have defeated the Romulan Empire years ago!

But how could they get a "perfect" cloaking system? Couldn't the Enterprise detect the plasma coming out of the Scimitar's engines? Like in Undiscovered Country?
Ninety-nine percent of women kiss with their eyes closed; which is why it's so difficult to identify a rapist.

Beats me?? As I understand it Romulan cloaks are vastly superior to Klingon ones (which is canon with TNG episodes when we've seen Warbirds).
The Expanse. Watch it!

Well, I can't imagine an Empire such as the Romulans, which changes government every few years, would NOT have a method for detecting their own cloaking devices. Which leaves the thought that this device was designed by the Remans. So we have a slave race, used as cannon fodder in the Dominion War, building an enormous ship, using technologies never before seen in the Alpha quadrant, and then choosing a Human to fly it to Earth and take out a species they have never even met? We have Picard landing, without disguise, in an uncloaked vessel, on a pre-warp planet and getting into a fire fight with the inhabitants, and then flying off in a Federation shuttle in full view.

Alas, I fear Gene Rodenberry would be turning in his grave :(

They did not expect to be attacked.
Ninety-nine percent of women kiss with their eyes closed; which is why it's so difficult to identify a rapist.

Well, it was more of a coup D'etat to be honest, and Romulans always expect to be attacked, it's in their nature :)
I can certainly imagine how the appearance of the Scimitar would influence the decision though!
I suppose, just for the sake of argument, that the technology may have been gained from the Romulans who supported them in the senate (who would have access to experimental or banned technology), but that still doesn't explain the breach of the Prime Directive, nor does it explain why Jean Luc Picard actually had more hair as he got older (and smaller ears). hehehehehe
Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the film, but I'm a stickler for picking at storylines, just ask BW! ;)

Flipside

Oh yes, and I stand by the Dr Evil thing too ;)

i saw it pre release on a *cough* semi legal *cough* cd, and the story was terrible, had moreplotholes then ENT, and overall the thing wasn't real trek.