This (> <) far from a heart attack

Seriously. Drove the Manta this morning and theres FECKIN' SMOKE!!! coming from under the bonnett.
So I'm thinking no oil pressure, metal parts grinding, engine fuxx0red, car fuxx0red, Roanoke fuxx0red.

Opened it up to see oil leaking from the rocker cover on to the (hot) exhaust hence the smoke. I'd had a fiddle with the cover (just a cover that sits on top of the engine) last thursday and obviously not set the gasket in place properly.

Whew! Breath, fella, breath!

My car's in for its MOT next Thursday.. and I know already that it has failed :P
Ninety-nine percent of women kiss with their eyes closed; which is why it's so difficult to identify a rapist.

I have no car to worry about car at the moment :P Used to have one for a month when I was in college.

I decided to sell it because it was too much to look after. Bad people liked picking on me. Someone punctured my tire on the first week, and then some crazy drunk smashed the driver's side window on the third week. Man, I still remember the day I searched in two feet of snow at the junk yard for a window for my car because I couldn't afford a new one.

Afterwards, I was having so much hard time finding someone to help me install the window. No one wanted my business. I finally found a shop that was willing to provide the service but the owner was still giving me s###. I waited at the store almost 6 hours a day for three days to get the repair done. What really upset me was that it only took 10 minutes to install that window if I had the right tools and knew how.
Last edited by Wild Fragaria on Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have no car to worry about car at the moment :P Used to have one for a month when I was in college.

I decided to sell it because it was too much to look after. Bad people liked picking on me. Someone punctured my tired on the first week, and the some crazy drunk smashed the driver's side window on the third week. Man, I still remember the day I searched in two feet of snow at the junk yard for a window for my car because I couldn't afford a new one.

Afterwards, I was having so much hard time finding someone to help me install the window. No one wanted my business. I finally found a shop that was willing to provide the service but the owner was still giving me s###. I waited at the store almost 6 hours a day for three days to get the repair done. What really upset me was that it only took 10 minutes to install that window if I had the right tools and knew how.
Ouch. City street parked?

EDIT; I should probably mention at this point the only car trauma I've had is self inflicted, and largely related to the nefarious parking positions of various familial cars in or around my garage.
Last edited by aldo on Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roa: Valve cover gasket, eh? Does it every time. Good thing it wasnt worse.

Frag: Meep. Someone didn't like you. Though.... my car now has a sizeable dent in the driver's door because of someone backing into it (and the nearest parking space is a good 40-50 feet away, so I think it was deliberate)

Well Steve, I parked it on the street, but it was a residential area off street parking near the city. I am not sure if it was all a coinsidence that my car got damaged twice in a month and the way I was treated by the people at the auto shops because I was a girl and oriental (I think I was the only oriental girl in the neighborhood at that time). My neighbors seemed quite nice though. It was one of my neighbors from across the street who made the 911 call when my car window got smashed. The police told me that she reported that she saw a bunch of 'boys' walked by and did the crime but she asked the police to keep her name unannounced.

I am somewhat glad that it wasn't the windshield that got smashed. I would end up paying a lot more if that happened. I paid $75 for the window I dug out from the junk yard and $150 for the installation after I was being badly treated. Don't remember how much I paid for the tires, but I think it was about a couple of houdred bucks if not more.

I am not sure if it was all a coinsidence that my car got damaged twice in a month and the way I was treated by the people at the auto shops because I was a girl and oriental (I think I was the only oriental girl in the neighborhood at that time).

God, that's a horrible thought.

Rear-ended by SUV that ran a red light at around 10:00 PM, smashed the hell out of it, trunk was simply gone, injuries to the backseat passengers. That was the '96 Jetta. Frankly looking at it afterwards I'm not sure how anybody in the back seat survived, which is probably why the SUV guy ran away.

The worst thing that's happened to the '01 Jetta is cat pawprints on the windshield. :razz:

But it's unlikely I'm ever going to buy anything but a Volkswagon now. Tough little things.
IAR
A Numbered Existence
In The Service
Monsters
SAMAS

Heh Fragaria, you sound like my sister. Her car has also been through it's share of knocks and "teenage yobbo's". The most recent was having the car broke into, though nothing was stolen. The door was hanging off since it was done with a crowbar. Wham bam, another few hundred to replace that...
The Expanse. Watch it!

They stole the bonnet? o.'.o wtf? Was it like... carbon fiber like these ricers here like? Or stock? That's an awefully strange thing to steal o.'.O

I've gone out to my car to find a lug nut missing once before... and my brother's car had a giant rock smashed through the back windscreen (he owed some kid money apparently), but aside from that, all has been well, not counting the accident damage, assholes backing into it in parkinglots et al.