Spring Plans

So, recently it was our 6th Anniversary for Freespace 2 Sector.. which isn't that big a deal, really, now is it? But it will also be Sectorgames 4th anniversary soon (can't say when, I don't even know exactly) - So I'm thinking it's time for an overhaul. The plan: To abolish Freespace 2 Sector, Descent 3 UK and leave all other sites as merely hosted. And then: Simply integrate those sites into a homepage (a PHP terminal) including this forum. So that way, the homepage would finally have well... a homepage. Most of the content would be the same, but I'd definitely look into updating it and giving remote control to staff members so people can keep things updated. I guess over time, other things could be added too (like silly polls, articles, reviews...). Sectorfiles should also be coming back around the same time, taking some weight off the Sectorgame server - We're currently nearing max capacity.

I think Sectorgame needs some new life, and some new ideas... So if you have some, please put them down here! As for design, well, colours will stay the same - Goldish/Orangey. The old blue theme was nice... But, that was because it was only Freespace back then. I won't be going into any complex designs, just using a standard terminal script.
The Expanse. Watch it!

I think it's a good idea... if I understood it correctly...
THe only thing I would request is to keep a simple address to get to the forums, like now it's www.sectorgame.com/forums . I request this since I often check the boards from school and it's simpler if I can plunk in the direct address to get to the forums instead of having to fight through pages to get here.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
-Steven Wright

Truth be told, I quite like SG as it is, forums wise anyway. A bit more activity would certainly be nice, but I do like the general group of people we seem to have gathered here - very few/no stupid newbs, no flamers/flamebaiters... it's... nice. :)
TI - Coming in 2011 - Promise!
:flag9:
"Everyone has to wear clothes, and if you don't, you get arrested!" - Mr. T

Wasn't planning on changing the forums, just giving the homepage an actual homepage which was originally outlined. The only plan I was thinking for the forum was to "abolish" this theme we've had for a couple years now and merge it with the template of the site, perhaps PHPNuke. Integration of websites into the homepage would mean two things - To be able to finally put them to rest for the future, while at the same time updating them and installing automated systems so things can just keep going until needed. Granted, some of the website designs I created are "simple, nifty" but they have served their purpose over the years. I'm not bothered about losing the individual themes in favour of a large-hub of sites.

And one day, more money will mean SG can expand into other games that come along. EVE is a prime example of this.

Hosted sites would remain as they are, though.
The Expanse. Watch it!

From the FAQ
SectorGame on the other hand is a lot more relaxed than HLP. Since it has a much smaller user base than HLP SectorGame has more of a members club feeling than HLP as the people on the board tend to know each other quite well. That said everyone is generally quite welcoming to new people. One good thing about SectorGame is that everyone on the board tends to have a fair bit of knowledge about FS2 as most of the members have been in the community for years.
Sums up my attitude to the place pretty well :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

[Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [Mind Games]