That's pretty much something im looking for as well.

You should take a look at the guys down at Project Offset perhaps?
I saw that, it's impressive, but I foresee a game involving lots of very misty temples with sparse architecture ;)

And yes, the final story decisions will be made by a vote of 3 people. The ideal situation would be that each modeller is given an 'Block' of ships to work on, so, for example, one Person would do Human fighters and bombers, another would do some alien capships etc. Final decisions with models will be left in the modellers hands, but you might need to pass your creations onto someone who can code shaders etc, anyhow, this is all conjecture, what I basically want is for every person to feel as much in control and free to operate without interference in their part of the project as is possible, so whilst modellers can only suggest things to the story creators, the same applies vice versa :D That worked pretty well for TI, at least until about 6 months ago when RL stuff happened :/ Ah well.

'cept if people don't like doing, say, capships. That could be a problem. I have to admit being somewhat off alien races at the mo......

Indeed, I'd personally prefer people choosing what they do rather than have it allocated. Basically, the more people feel free to operate and use their own creativeness, the faster and better the work will be. For example, whilst the story might include a name/social structure of a race, it would be the modeller that decides what their ships/pilots etc look like, that way they are not having anything forced upon them.
Check out my music on my YouTube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/user/PRDibble/videos

Indeed, I'd personally prefer people choosing what they do rather than have it allocated. Basically, the more people feel free to operate and use their own creativeness, the faster and better the work will be. For example, whilst the story might include a name/social structure of a race, it would be the modeller that decides what their ships/pilots etc look like, that way they are not having anything forced upon them.
do note, though, that sometimes its better to base the small details of a species off it's visual representation, as opposed to vise versa.

Trek canonicity has been screwed over quite a few times (supposedly) by conflicting information seen on screen due to render/model differences and that stated by the actors. An example of this could be the Klingon BoP, for which the exact size is still not properly confirmed due to conflicting information on what we see in the manuals and what we see on screen >_<

An example of how it could be applicable here is in terms of technology, mostly. If a species was said to be using railguns in a storyline and use primarily massive cannons at that, and then the model turns out to use an entirely different system alltogether, it does create significant problems. In this case, there has to be some communications between storyline writers and modellers, to not only better describe the species and ensure accuracy/depth, but to also give the writers a feeling and understanding to the limitations that hte modellers may have in terms of bringing out visualizations.

But then We miss Steak, Ransom, Mefustae and (more or less) Turnsky, as well as whoever else doesn't post here much.

Anyway, on the current topic - I think TI's experience with the Aesir might be helpful here. We started with a very vague idea of what they'd be like - actually we started with a colour - Blue, in homage to the old SG forums, and an idea that they'd be aquatic, because in those days, it would have been neccesary to make heavily lodded islands in order to make atmospheric missions viable (ugh - reminds me of how long we've been going :nervous: ). Anyway, from there we developed the species and the ships simultaneously. The ships became deltoid because we wanted to imply a sort of streamlined, aquatic look for them. A singleness of purpose was inserted into the character of the species because we wanted to make the ships interesting to fight. Their weaponry was defined by plot neccessities (which I wont explain :p) and a desire to make them unique. Other elements played a part as well of course.

In essence what occured was, while Flip had complete artistic control over the look of their ships, that look was defined by existing elements. What we got was a very naturally enmeshed growth between the ships (what you're actually fighting against and seeing ingame - basically, what the player is going to identify with the species) and the species itself (members of which you never really directly encounter).
TI - Coming in 2011 - Promise!
:flag9:
"Everyone has to wear clothes, and if you don't, you get arrested!" - Mr. T

Personally, I've been working on two alien species at the moment. The only stumbling block is trying to figure out how to texture the capital ships.
I've been using generic tiled textures (3-5 dependent on model). with a templated map for certain key sections (namely when getting the required level of detail would require creating a new tilable map/s for fairly small areas; a bit like the people that use that white-glow Orion texture 'just' for fighterbay, and then dock### just for the bay doors, etc, as I used to)

Albeit that's something helped by it being aesthetically plausible to do so. For Terran ships in particular, IMO it's a lot more difficult to get away with.

I'm into it, though I think planning is about as far as it'll probably get while every one of us is as tied up as we are, but it can't be bad to get some elementals esablished - though that might be easier in a realtime environment (IRC or summat), at least to get the core ideas sorted.

[Edit]To be more clear, there're a lot of fundamental decisions that need to be made before the universe gets going.

- Tech level (Low Like SAAB, Medium like B5, High like ST/SW, or a fusion of the above like FS).

- What sort of FTL will there be? Is it gate based (Like FS2's nodes) or free roaming like ST's warp drive, or a fusion of both, Like SAABs semi random wormholes. Will there be FTL at all (It's not as neccesary as it'd seem - set it far enough into the future and populate Sol with colonies on mars, Gas Giant moons. space stations, Oort Bodie mining complexes - it can be done without FTL).

- Do they have energy weapons, or is it primarily bullets and bombs?

- Is it set in the distant future, where Earth has dozens, or hundreds of colonies. or the near future, where nations are still separate and Mars is the place to be.

- Presence/Number of Alien races

- Is humanity Unified (ala Fs1, ST) or Divided (If so, how - there's a huge difference between the divisions in, say Firefly and FS2)

There's tonnes more to work over too - I'm in the process of defining a universe ATM myself, and I know what's required. Obviously, 2 heads (or 3, or 4 or whatever) are better than 1, but it'd be very hard to keep it unified if these sorts of fundamental questions aren't answered early on, and since there are compelling story related pros and cons to go with almost every option, it's the sort of thing that can't easily be hashed out at the time scale of forum posts.
TI - Coming in 2011 - Promise!
:flag9:
"Everyone has to wear clothes, and if you don't, you get arrested!" - Mr. T

I like the idea, but I'm tired of helping out stalled projects. And though my models aren't on par with, say, aldo's, I'd still be willing to create some for it. I have quite a few WIPs that are in various levels of completion.

I'm into it, though I think planning is about as far as it'll probably get while every one of us is as tied up as we are, but it can't be bad to get some elementals esablished - though that might be easier in a realtime environment (IRC or summat), at least to get the core ideas sorted.

[Edit]To be more clear, there're a lot of fundamental decisions that need to be made before the universe gets going.

- Tech level (Low Like SAAB, Medium like B5, High like ST/SW, or a fusion of the above like FS).
I prefer low, myself. I think it's more visually interesting to sit in a fairly rickety space-faring version (not literally) of a spitfire than something clean and efficient.

- What sort of FTL will there be? Is it gate based (Like FS2's nodes) or free roaming like ST's warp drive, or a fusion of both, Like SAABs semi random wormholes. Will there be FTL at all (It's not as neccesary as it'd seem - set it far enough into the future and populate Sol with colonies on mars, Gas Giant moons. space stations, Oort Bodie mining complexes - it can be done without FTL).
I personally like the idea of short range FTL combined with jumpgates (if there is any long range FTL between systems), specifically where capships are the only intra system jumping ships, with fighters having to be carried onboard. For one thing, I think constraining travel in that way allows for interesting defense missions and also makes for interesting ships; as they have to carry not just supplies but transports, fighters, etc from battle to battle.

I also like the idea where we have a campaign where only short range FTL is possible, but the competing sides are actually fighting to access/reach an experimental inter-system ship that disappeared 5/10/etc years ago and has returned in a mysterious Event Horizon stylee

- Do they have energy weapons, or is it primarily bullets and bombs?
I prefer bullets, bombs, with energy weapons used as 'special case' type things. Like as simple mining (or comms, ala I-War 2) lasers rather than default weaponry. Or perhaps where capships carry a load of tracer type turrets and one or 2 heavy beam weapons that do the actual killing.

I think old-style weaponry can/should feel more 'visceral'. I'd especially like pouring tonnes of the stuff, WW2 style.

- Is it set in the distant future, where Earth has dozens, or hundreds of colonies. or the near future, where nations are still separate and Mars is the place to be.I prefer near future; specifically either at the stage where combat is on or around earth atmosphere, or where combat takes place around the likes of Mars and the asteroid belt. I think Sol is a far better setting than a generic system; in any case, I'd rather have a limited range of settings than a large number of fairly indistinct regions

- Presence/Number of Alien races
My personal preference is to have none. Failing that, I would prefer the idea to a mechanical Berserker type race.

- Is humanity Unified (ala Fs1, ST) or Divided (If so, how - there's a huge difference between the divisions in, say Firefly and FS2)
My preference is divided within planetary lines, specifically the likes of Earth versus Mars and the outer planets. I also like the old cold-war in space type idea (such as EU vs US vs Russia & China) used for Starlancer, largely because it allows for interesting use of national identity. Although the variety and number of factions would raise quanity issues.

Also, I like idea where divisions between whatever human groups there are, are not a clear good-vs-evil one; whether that means both sides are dystopic or utopic. I particularly like the idea of having a et of paraller campaigns where you can play either side

There's tonnes more to work over too - I'm in the process of defining a universe ATM myself, and I know what's required. Obviously, 2 heads (or 3, or 4 or whatever) are better than 1, but it'd be very hard to keep it unified if these sorts of fundamental questions aren't answered early on, and since there are compelling story related pros and cons to go with almost every option, it's the sort of thing that can't easily be hashed out at the time scale of forum posts.
Exactly what I was thinking, actually. I know it'll be ages till we can actually spare the time to do proper work, certainly would have to be well into next year, but the planning stage is relatively simple - it should be just typing and doodles.

I put my preferences up there, of course. I'll probably diddle up some scenario ideas later on. I get the impression Flip and maybe Raa will be more towards alien races than I am, though.

Ok,

First off....know that the following post stays here and within this board, preferably.

A few of my friends here have decided to try and make a FPS game, and I'm doing the storyline/script stuff for them. The thing is, half of the premise takes place in space, with significant potential for development in terms of a space sim, where a FPS isn't possible.

Although I cant give use for the actual story itself (that is for the FPS only), the premise itself can be 'recycled' quite effectively to suit the needs of a space sim. Although its not exactly to your preferences (actually quite different) its still an option.

If you're interested in reading it, PM me,as i'd rather not post it here till i can get permission.