's probably easier than setting up a forum, Id imagine. Especially if it's a private one...
I'd hope so........ AFAIK you just need a server of some sort; a cursory check shows that there's a bunch of different implementations so I guess anything serving php or soforth can handle one.

Like this; http://phpwiki.sourceforge.net/

Not even sure it has to be private, so much, as just obscure enough to avoid people finding it easily.

Personally I haven't set up either, so I wouldn't know the difficulty.

List of Wiki Software in the wikipedia

Here are some I found through Google/Wiki
  • MediaWiki - the Freespace Wiki uses it
  • instiki - looks to be simple and easy to install, uses ruby (oop scripting lang.)
  • coWiki - uses XML but it looks to be complicated
What I do know so far, is that you'll need a server with at least PHP support and if you want to go one step further, MySQL as well. If your going to place the wiki in an obscure location you may as well password the directory and also edit the robots.txt file to stop search engines looking in that folder or at least just do the latter.

what've you got in mind aldo ? :)
nothing too extraordinary.

A private (in the sense that only 'we' can see and edit it, either through password protection or just simply having it in a really, really hard to guess URL) project wiki for us (LS) to write up various tech docs, scripts, etc. It's a hell of a lot more sensible than the current approach, I think - a combination of doc based specs* - and forum threads which get rapidly jumbled up because you can only reply to, not actively edit, ideas posted.

(I'm trying to use something approximating how you'd want to make software; forum for specific discussion, wiki for storing and cataloging the 'facts' to reference later)

*The idea was that having a doc-type format rather than HTML or somesuch would lead to a bit of a harder 'fixed' spec; we'd (well, I'd) write it, save it onto our HDs or print it, and that's the design done. It was a nice theory, at least. :)

EDIT; I can't, natch, run it on a home server or work server; the latter because my PC isn't always on, the former because work would likely get pissed off just a tad :D